Flying to a comp and need to get some equipment there

Capt ron

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First off, Happy New year to all. Question is: How do I get some kitchen equipment to a comp if I am flying to the comp? I want to take me usual cooking utensil (knives, temp probes etc) and other accessories but don't want them lost or confiscated. Everything will be in a tool box... How do I go about get it there without having any issues???

Thanks... Have a safe and prosperous 2010!!!:p

First off, Happy New year to all. Question is: How do I get some kitchen equipment to a comp if I am flying to the comp? I want to take me usual cooking utensil (knives, temp probes etc) and other accessories but don't want them lost or confiscated. Everything will be in a tool box... How do I go about get it there without having any issues???

Thanks... Have a safe and prosperous 2010!!!:p

Last year I flew to a contest in Arizona, I had a cooker being supplied by a local cook ( thanks again Thom) , I packed a box with supplies in it and shipped it UPS 2 weeks earlier to him, he brought it to the site. I got with the air lines and read there rules of carry ons and pre trimmed and packed my briskets, ribs, and chicken. I carried them on and bought butts when I was there. Hope this helps.

why not just check it in with the luggage? You can transport those things in cargo, and pick it up at baggage claim.

I've done it a couple of times. I pack stuff in empty coolers or my luggage. I'll also take my meats in a cooler. I've even brought parsley, because we fly Southwest and can bring extra bags/coolers. You can also pay them $25 for an extra bag. Which is cheaper than using UPS. Plus I get an extra cooler. When shipping your knives, just plan on seeing one of those TSA letters in your luggage, because they opened it.

With our trips to NY this year, we checked them twice and shipped them once. In the future we will most likely ship them. We did like that they searched our bags, you never know what might end up missing. We used UPS and shipped it to another team that made sure we would get it.

I've done it a couple of times. I pack stuff in empty coolers or my luggage. I'll also take my meats in a cooler. I've even brought parsley, because we fly Southwest and can bring extra bags/coolers. You can also pay them $25 for an extra bag. Which is cheaper than using UPS. Plus I get an extra cooler. When shipping your knives, just plan on seeing one of those TSA letters in your luggage, because they opened it.

UPS was actually cheeper for us than checking a bag.:biggrin:

Capt.

You talking about Little Rock? If so, I can probably find room for a couple items as we are driving. If not Little Rock, never mind....

I love how Thom is a "local" to a contest that he lives 250 miles from.
Hardest workin' man in BBQ, :-D.

If it is NLR, Capt'n Ron, you can use my trailer if you want. I'm not cooking it (going to be a judge!). It even has a coffee pot!

Have you considered shipping your items to a UPS store close to where you'll be? They'll hold it for a couple of days and you could just stop in and grab it.

Hey thats my line, oh I get it you just thew a slam my way:eek:

Mrs. Candy you know I need your help.

Dammit! You done insulted me now...all my Exes live in Texas, I just ain't quite made it to Tennessee yet. You should know there's a reason why I'm cooking solo...

Back