Pit photos, and a question.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I have been building this pit for about 5 months. I plan to have it powder coated, and it is currently sand blasted. Main chamber is 24''x 3'3" with a 3/8" wall thickness. My firebox is 18"x 3'2" with a 1/2" wall thickness. It is trimmed out with stainless flat bar as the flanging for the door which will be polished to a high shine. I designed everything on her. I am super proud of the hinges I designed, and spent forever rounding, and polishing. It is reverse flow, and last night proved it ran like a champ. Shooting a laser on the top of the fire box and getting a reading of nearly 400 degrees got me thinking of a warming box. If I were to put a warming box( I guess that is what they are called) above my fire box how hot could it get. Do they just warm or could pies be cooked in them? I would go flush with the sides of my firebox, and tie into my main chamber. Not sure how high I want to go. Looking for ideas, and advice. 533881_10200210051352615_555808895_n.jpg

547062_10200210036432242_1734633396_n.jpg

487132_10200210047432517_6593505_n.jpg

Jealous for sure... wish I had the talent to weld something like that!

As far as the oven type box goes - the more trapped surface area from the top of your box - the better heat you can get. I would focus on having an ability to vent more / less based on warming needs. I would imagine that with the right amount of control and sealing in the door you could cook a pie or cobbler in there easily. Additionally with good sealing I don't see why you couldn't go with more than one shelf in there to add more cook space.

Very nice pit. How will the powder coat hold up to the heat?

Nice pit, how much does it weigh, 3/8" cooking chamber and 1/2" firebox wow very thick metal.

It weighs around a 1000 lbs. The powder coating I am going to use is good for up to 1200 degrees F. Thinking Green Illiusion on the pit, Metallic black doors, and polish stainless trim. Thinking about doing the heat box flush with the sides of the fire box on all sides stopping just before my smoke stack in height, and 45ing the top corners. Double doors on the front. Same hinges same trim. Thoughts?

Nice looking Pit!! You got more patience than me. To answer the Warming box ? It's do able you will need to vent excess heat VIA an additional stack and opening with a Damper to the main Chamber so if you want it hotter you close down on the damper.
Here is a good visual from a build a friend did he forgot more than I'll ever know.http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18210

Back