• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help Please On Close Up Pictures

Okay so I can get my hands on a tripod, two actually, one floor model and one that sits on a table. I also know someone who has a light box he doesn't use. He says it's like this

41VjYMU5SEL._SX385_.jpg

but just the box no lights would this help?

Okay so I can get my hands on a tripod, two actually, one floor model and one that sits on a table. I also know someone who has a light box he doesn't use. He says it's like this

41VjYMU5SEL._SX385_.jpg

The main problem is your lens. Point and shoot cameras are very limited in their lenses. All the lights and tripods in the world will not increase the quality of the camera.
I would suggest if you know you like photography get an entry level DSLR like the canon EOS or similar. The lenses are interchangeable and you have much much more control on the overall camera function.
Cameras and lenses are truly one of those things that you get what you pay for, that being said, an entry level SLR can be picked up relatively cheap for what they do.

Okay so I can get my hands on a tripod, two actually, one floor model and one that sits on a table. I also know someone who has a light box he doesn't use.

You'd need lights too. A couple of work lights from Lowes or Home Depot or a couple of cheap Smith Victors off of ebay would do fine.

an entry level SLR can be picked up relatively cheap for what they do.

Thanks, are there any features on these that you would consider to be must haves. My guess is there are lots of options. My wife has an old film type camera (maybe 30 years old) and she has some lenses with it. Do the digital cameras fit the film type lenses?

You'd need lights too. A couple of work lights from Lowes or Home Depot or a couple of cheap Smith Victors off of ebay would do fine.

Thanks, so this type of box helps if you have lights? Probably a dumb question but would I be better off spending that money to upgrade my camera?

I don't know that camera, but most auto-focus point-and-shoot cameras will make a beep sound, or give you some kind of indication that you are in focus before the shutter clicks. One strong possibility is that you are physically too close to the food for your camera's focus range. You can step back and zoom in, or step back and crop later on the computer. Again, your camera should have some indicator that your subject is in focus. Check your user's manual.

Also, low light will open the aperture all the way, which will reduce your depth-of-field (the range of distance that is in focus). Shoot in more light to increase that in-focus range.

A tripod can help with motion blur, but what I am seeing in your images is lens blur, not motion blur. The pictures are just plain not in focus.

So...

1. Find out how your camera will tell you if you are in focus, and...

2. If needed, back up, and either use the zoom function to crop for composition, or crop later on your computer.

3. Shoot in brighter light, or use the flash.

CD

If it doesnt focus in macro mode that means you are too close for the macro mode to be effective, just slowly inch out until you find the ideal distance.

Also, in macro mode, your depth of field is really shallow, especially with low light requiring a wide aperture.

I wouldn't use macro mode for food shots. The depth of field is just to shallow.

CD

One strong possibility is that you are physically too close to the food for your camera's focus range.
CD

That has to be part of the issue because when I take regular pictures it shows a green grid on the screen.
I will also try to figure out some way to get more light in the picture area.

41VjYMU5SEL._SX385_.jpg

I use one light source for food, whether it is man-made or sunlight. Tw light sources will make your food look flat. If you have too much contrast, use a piece of white paper taped to cardboard to reflect light from opposite your light source.

I took this picture with a Canon PowerShot P&S camera, using a table lamp and a kitchen trash bag as my light source.

picture.php

picture.php

Read more about it, and read all the good posts in the Photography Tips and Tricks" thread in the Throwdown Forum.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96575&highlight=photography

CD

Everything that CD says is a good idea.

Yes, I shoot images a little larger than I need, and crop in. I shoot with a high resolution and get a workable image for internet use. If I was shooting for print, I would shoot with higher resolution, and use more of the capabilities of my camera. I only shoot with a digital SLR fitted with a f1.8 50mm lens. No macro or zoom. My typical shot is from 36" to 48" away from the food. One source of light as well.

Thanks, so this type of box helps if you have lights? Probably a dumb question but would I be better off spending that money to upgrade my camera?

When your current camera is holding you back, then it is time to upgrade. Right now, no offense, but the camera is not the problem. Read, learn and practice. Improve your skills before buying a new camera.

Look at it this way, if you can't cook good food on a $150 kettle, buying a $1,200 BGE isn't going to make you a better cook. Just like cooking good food, taking good pictures requires learning and practice.

CD

Just asking, but have you tried using a smartphone? I use my iphone and my Windows Phone (don't ask) to shoot the pics I post here.

MacandCheese.jpg

When your current camera is holding you back, then it is time to upgrade. Right now, no offense, but the camera is not the problem. Read, learn and practice. Improve your skills before buying a new camera.

Look at it this way, if you can't cook good food on a $150 kettle, buying a $1,200 BGE isn't going to make you a better cook. Just like cooking good food, taking good pictures requires learning and practice.

CD

Listen to EVERY thing the dog says. Also, it helps if the photographer is in focus too...

Not that I know anything about that.

Thanks, are there any features on these that you would consider to be must haves. My guess is there are lots of options. My wife has an old film type camera (maybe 30 years old) and she has some lenses with it. Do the digital cameras fit the film type lenses?

Yes, I find that being able to adjust my shutter speed, light sensitivity and f-stop are things i can not do without anymore. With a the ablility to adjust all this and being able to interchange your lenses you can get any effect you want.
exp. Large depth of field to short depth of field. Even being able to adjust your ISO helps when shooting in different lighting. It is a learning curve for sure but once you get used to adjusting on the fly you cant go back.

I believe you can use some old analog lenses with the newer digital cameras. I think Nikon lenses work but think you need to have an adapter for canon lenses. you would also most likely have to self meter the light. meaning the light meter in the camera will not work with the old lenses.

Yes, I find that being able to adjust my shutter speed, light sensitivity and f-stop are things i can not do without anymore. With a the ablility to adjust all this and being able to interchange your lenses you can get any effect you want.
exp. Large depth of field to short depth of field. Even being able to adjust your ISO helps when shooting in different lighting. It is a learning curve for sure but once you get used to adjusting on the fly you cant go back.

I believe you can use some old analog lenses with the newer digital cameras. I think Nikon lenses work but think you need to have an adapter for canon lenses. you would also most likely have to self meter the light. meaning the light meter in the camera will not work with the old lenses.

Older lenses will mount on newer cameras, but some of the new camera features will not work. Cameras and lenses communicate with each other these days, and if the lens can't understand the camera, features are lost, and in some cases, the camera just won't work with the lens.

I have seen charts on the WWW that list which lenses work on which cameras, and what features you lose, but I don't recall where.

CD

Read more about it, and read all the good posts in the Photography Tips and Tricks" thread in the Throwdown Forum.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96575&highlight=photography

CD
Thanks CD for the link I will spend some time there for sure.

Everything that CD says is a good idea.

Yes, I shoot images a little larger than I need, and crop in. One source of light as well.
Thanks this will be the first thing I try.

Right now, no offense, but the camera is not the problem. Read, learn and practice. Improve your skills before buying a new camera.

CD
Great advise and so true.

Listen to EVERY thing the dog says. Also, it helps if the photographer is in focus too...

Not that I know anything about that.
I know CD knows his chit I am listening carefully. As for me being in focus that could the worst problem of all:icon_blush:

Thanks for the info.

I was just talking about the whole camera and lens issue with a friend out here who is a professional and a Nikon fanatic. I had a chance to get a whole bunch of Canon lenses, I shoot a Canon, and he brought up the fact that the new lens are not just communicating, but, that the coatings on the lenses are now optimized for the sensors in the cameras. He was strongly suggesting that old lenses are not a good route for a new camera, and beyond that, with the exception of highly specialized shooting, you do not need a lot of lenses.

He did a lot of food shoots for restaurants and food publications, and he said he really relied on his prime, a short zoom and a long zoom, that is just three lens, and he said you could get away with just the short zoom if you wanted. I listen to him, because, well, his shooting is better than mine.

Back