Backribs Trigg Style - Failed - no pron

Bacon_99

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Yeah, so I'd post some pics but really not worth it. They looked pretty good and tasted ok but the texture was WAY OFF. The meat still clung to the bone a lot and not a nice clean pull away like last time.

2 weekes ago I got perfect ribs off the BGE with 2.5 hours smoke, 1 hour foil, and 15 mins smoke with sauce. 250-270 F on the egg dome temp

Yesterday, the only difference was that this time, instead of wrapping just foil around the ribs, I put some margarine, brown sugar, and honey on the foil before wrapping them (no tiger sauce though)....

Cooked the same amount of time, they looked great but I would guess that the liquid buildup in the foil from all that stuff caused the ribs to cook slower than they normally would during that hour.....

Do you all agree? Could putting those ingredients in the foil slow down the cooking? :confused:

Also - would like to note that all that sugar and butter-like stuff, the ribs were NOT sweet at all. Frankly, I really can't see what the point of doing it was.... I put a good amount of that stuff too, didn't skimp. Surprised at how little flavor it added. IMHO I wouldn't bother with the trigg method as using a good rub and having a decent finishing sauce would bring good results....

Assuming that the pit temps were the same, I can think of two possible causes...

1. Size of the ribs - were these ribs meatier than the last batch?

2. You added cold or cool stuff into the foil (margarine, brown sugar and honey) and that brought the rib temp down enough that some of the time in the foil was used getting them back to cooking temp.

Just my thoughts.

I was wondering that also, where these ribs the same "size" as last weeks? I would think adding all the liquid would steam those ribs right off the bone for the hour they where wrapped up.

Bacon 99: Time is only a guideline. "BBQ is done when it's done" is something you will read here a lot.

Use the 3-2-1 rule as a guide but not a dogma. Learn to check for tenderness with a toothpick or giving a bone a slight twist or looking for a 90 degree bend with a little meat pulling away from a bone at the bend point when you pick up the ribs with a set of tongs.

Ron L is on target. Although the verisions of 3-2-1 are pretty accurate, you can't go solely by the clock. Before you pull the ribs from the foil, open them up (carefully, you don't want to lose the juices) & probe the meaty areas with a toothpick. When the ribs are ready, the toothpick will slide in like soft butter. If you feel more resistance than that, close them back up & give them another 10-15 mins.

You know, even failed pr0n is good pr0n.

And, thanks to those who answered already.

Option 3: The meat was a different quality than what you had last time.

Lots of possibilities. Every now and then I'll run across a brisket that won't get done, or a butt that will just run away way ahead of schedule. It's always a good reminder for me to keep an eye on the meat, rather than expecting it to adapt to my schedule.

You may not have cared for the results, but if you learn something from the experience it was a really good cook.

Well I think they're the same size - paid about the same amount for them... Looked about the same size too....

I think since the margarine was slightly cold that that might have been part of the problem. Also found them to be a bit more marbled than the back ribs last time, so that might have been a problem as well. I thought the meat looked like it was starting to pull away from the tips of the bones and figured it was done..

Thanks - will try the toothpick method next time... The fam needed to eat and had they needed to wait 1 more hour I would have had a riot on my hands. On the upside my 8 yr old daughter said my ribs would have won on pitmaster...lol She was going by taste alone but its always good to see someone enjoy them.... Gotta love kids ; )

You may not have cared for the results, but if you learn something from the experience it was a really good cook.

True.... I like experimenting - was just a bad day - new mustard based slaw experiment failed, ribs failed, and the raspberry parfaits I made were a too sour...

On the upside, my new bbq sauce was good - so that was a plus.... Used tomato sauce as a base instead of ketchup - turned out pretty good...

Doesn't sound like they were cooked long enough to me. Usually about 5 hours is required at 250ish.

Also - would like to note that all that sugar and butter-like stuff, the ribs were NOT sweet at all. Frankly, I really can't see what the point of doing it was.... I put a good amount of that stuff too, didn't skimp. Surprised at how little flavor it added. IMHO I wouldn't bother with the trigg method as using a good rub and having a decent finishing sauce would bring good results....

Had a very similar experience when I tried it. The ribs were not as tender as usual and didn't seem to add much flavor. I was doing baby backs and foiled them for 2 hours.

You know, even failed pr0n is good pr0n.

Well - here's some pron of my failed day. Only had a shot of the ribs after 2.5 hour smoke and a shot of the foil with ingredients. Couldn't get squeeze parkay so I put some becel in a ziploc bag, cut the tip of and piped it onto foil.... The other shots are cooking up the cream custard for the raspberry parfaits.... Oh - and smaller pics - tried a new resizer (used iphoto instead)...

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2626.jpg
    IMG_2626.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 142
When you foil are you doing meat side up where it's not in the liquid or down where it will be submerged?

As mentioned, you can not set your watch by foiled ribs. You will have less variation that with no foil, but you can not go just by time alone.

When you foil are you doing meat side up where it's not in the liquid or down where it will be submerged?

meat down onto ingredients and then meat side down on the BGE grill (with place setter in).....

Meat cooks in the liquid which you would think would cook/tenderize more..... Not the case IMO.....

Oddly, I had the exact same experience this weekend. Tried this method and they were undercooked. I think my problem was setting a "hard time" for the food to be done, and trying to stick to that. From now on, it's going to be done when it's done, and we'll eat then, not eat at a set time. Anyway, mine were 2-1.5-1 at 250deg and cooler'd for 30 minutes, and appear to have needed at least another 1 to 1.5 hours. I've read BB's in a drum and foil would be mush after that time, but it didn't work out that way.

Oddly, I had the exact same experience this weekend. Tried this method and they were undercooked. I think my problem was setting a "hard time" for the food to be done, and trying to stick to that. From now on, it's going to be done when it's done, and we'll eat then, not eat at a set time. Anyway, mine were 2-1.5-1 at 250deg and cooler'd for 30 minutes, and appear to have needed at least another 1 to 1.5 hours. I've read BB's in a drum and foil would be mush after that time, but it didn't work out that way.

Wow - I only went 2.5-1-15 mins..... I figired they needed atleast another hour - but reading your post makes me think they may have needed 2 :wink:

I still find it weird since I had awesome results last weekend - same size ribs, same temps, same time - except used a bunch of stuff in the foil this time. Will go back to not putting anything in the foil next time and see what happens....

Finally found a good butcher and excited to get some good shoulders and brisket.... Now off to cook some yellow and purple carrots....

Back