need help smoke flavor

bbqcoach

Reaction score
I scored a RF smoker 40x22 with a 20x20 insulated fire box off CL. I cook on it 2x and can't get any smoke flavor. I use pecan wood. Ribs cook at 275 for 3 hr fall off bone, to tender, but no smoke flavor.

How old is the wood? mix in a little mesquite ,hickory, or oak

How are you preparing the ribs before cooking? Studies have shown that cold and wet meat attract more smoke than drier meat at room temperature. A pan of water in the cooking chamber may help by adding humidity which helps the smoke to cling to meat surfaces. Here's an article on the subject of wood and smoke from a website called amazingribs.com . It's pretty informative and it may help you. Good luck!:thumb: http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

I'm willing to bet the wood is old.

Cold/warm, dry/wet shouldn't matter. There still should be some nice smoke flavor on the meat.

Are you sure you are cooking at 275F? I rarely get ribs done at that temperature in 3 hours, much less to falling off the bone. If you are cooking hotter with very dry wood, you are looking at very little smoke. Could the thermo be off?

Are you sure you are cooking at 275F? I rarely get ribs done at that temperature in 3 hours, much less to falling off the bone. If you are cooking hotter with very dry wood, you are looking at very little smoke. Could the thermo be off?
That's a really good point! At 275 you would be looking at a 4 hour cook at least, so the temp might be a lot higher than you think! I'm a low and slow guy, so I always cook my ribs at 250 or less with a water pan for moisture ( moisture makes the smoke stick) and let them take their time. I feel that putting the meat into really high temps sears the meat and doesn't allow smoke to penetrate as well. There are a lot of guys who would disagree with me on this forum but I've been doin' it that way for about 30 years and my ribs turn out tender and flavorful every time.

+1. Sounds like you are running hotter than you think.

Back