Rotisserie Chicken

K

kcquer

I need help:shock: It's been over a year since I've spun a bird. I have no idea how long it takes. I've done dozens of birds this way but its been a while and I'm drawing a total blank.

I have a gas grill with I/R rotisserie burner and am cooking an 8# roaster.

Any guesstimates on how long this will take.

Does anyone have a favorite seasoning they like for roto-bird?

kcquer said:
I need help:shock: It's been over a year since I've spun a bird. I have no idea how long it takes. I've done dozens of birds this way but its been a while and I'm drawing a total blank.

I have a gas grill with I/R rotisserie burner and am cooking an 8# roaster.

Any guesstimates on how long this will take.

Does anyone have a favorite seasoning they like for roto-bird?

Can't help on the time, like you it's been ages. Seasoning I like some Tony C's mixed with butter and a little lime juice for an injection. Outside a little olive oil and herbs of choice. The usual italian suspects work well for me; oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary etc..

I looked in the right notebook and found some old notes,3#er took 50 mins, 6.5#er took 90 mins, so I'll plan on 2 hours or a bit less. Like Q, I guess it'll be done when its done.

I'm gonna get a little smoke going before I load the chicken and then switch to the I/R burner, little smoke never hurt a bird!!

I always have some of those pop up dealies around just for situations like yours.

10-15 mins/lbs on an infrared jobbie. Depends on your hi your settings and how close the bird gets to the honeycombs. I do those twinpacks form costco and they cook in about 45-60 minutes. Dont forget to put a tray of beer under the birds catching the drippings. Then when ya slice the bird, slices go into that juice!

I leave the strings log enough so they drag thru the liquid in the pan as the birdie turns.

15-20 mins per pound is about right on the money. 8#er is gonna be done in just about 2 1/4 hours.

Loaded the cavity with a quarted onion, lemon wedges and minced garlic. It smells great!!!

Where do you find an 8# chicken? Capons yes. Yardbird aint that big.

Kevin said:
Where do you find an 8# chicken? Capons yes. Yardbird aint that big.

Grocery store "Baking Hen", OL picked it up last night.

Rotobird is pretty good, but it re-enforces my pet peeve of cooking chickens whole, the breast was overdone by the time the thigh was 180. Better off parting out and smoking the breast and throwing the thighs and legs away.

Fark.. i messed up and forgot to tell u that.. i roto it until the breasts are done, a little over 140-145..... then cut the leg quarters off and lay them on the grill for the rest of the way.. while we eat up the breasts and wings. sorry bout that minor detail.

Back