sad moink balls.

mbshop

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
i tried doing moink balls for the first time. used some premade frozen meatballs. wrapped in bacon and into my weber kettle with some pecan smoke. took off when it looked good. provided sauce on the side.
maybe it was just me as others seemed to like it but i thought they were rather bland. except for the smoke i could not taste anything, not even the bacon. so i know i didn't use any seasoning or rub but after this i think it does need it. any misses out there and what you did to fix that ? i'm one of those that believes in less is more but these were near tasteless. thanks,

I season mine with a rub and then sauce them near the end of the cook... they are delicious.

I find them to be much better if you make your own meatballs. It is amazing what a little egg, bread crumbs, parmesan and parsely can do to a meatball..... and yes, I give them a rub and sauce them lightly shortly before taking off.

I agree with you there! I've only made them once, and there's a reason for that! They just seemed really bland to the whole family.

I find them to be much better if you make your own meatballs. It is amazing what a little egg, bread crumbs, parmesan and parsely can do to a meatball..... and yes, I give them a rub and sauce them lightly shortly before taking off.

Homemade is WAY better. Frozen works in a pinch, but you really need to hit em with rub and sauce, but sadly, once you bite into it, it's still bland. I like to hit em with a thinned out Blue's Hog Sauce..........YUM. BH Sauce is always YUM! They are good for feeding a crowd. I like to make em at tailgates. I save the homemade meatballs for the family.:thumb:

When I make them we use the frozen ones. Take the frozen meatballs put on the cooker for five minutes take off and wrap with a half slice of bacon . Season the living day lights with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and back on the cooker . Flip halfway through cooking a we dunk in sauce and then back on the cooker to finish . The guest eat them all up. Without the rub they would be a little bland.

Had great luck with frozen meat balls when I don't have time to make fresh.
I just thaw them for 24 hrs in the fridge. Use thin sliced bacon half strips and wrap them and pin them with a tooth pick. Season them well and toss in the smoker.
When the bacon is crisp on both sides I toss them into a bowl, coat well and put back on the smoker for about 25 minutes to set the sauce. Serve and watch them vaporize in front of my eyes.
I hope you have better luck next time. Never give up.

MOINK Balls are what MOINK Balls are. Their 15 minutes of fame have long since past.

Someone needs to come up with something new. And that might just be right around the corner...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOINKs are a good delivery system for rubs and glaze and smoke. I usually use something like SM Sweet & Spicy and Blues Hog cut with jalapeno jelly and whatever other spicy stuff I have laying around. People love 'em, but I only ever make 'em for a crowd 'cause I can't be eating like that.

"Sad MOINK Balls" would be an awesome band name though.

I used the cheap frozen meat balls once and that was enough for me. Now I make my own fresh meatballs. Sure they need to be seasoned with rub!!!!!!!! Then sauced at the end and back on to heat up and caramelize the sauce. Frickin AWESOME!!!! Even better the next day reheated for lunch.

Oh, and BTW, moink balls were overrated the day they were invented.....which was WAY before anyone here on the Brethren ever heard of them.

Well, we coulda had prickly balls, naughty nuts, dunkee duos. Don't get me started...

I was gonna say, Larry is rolling over in his grave, but he ain't dead yet...

He ain't dead yet and is thinking about buying a Hasty Bake that I heard someone else was thinking about buying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He ain't dead yet and is thinking about buying a Hasty Bake that I heard someone else was thinking about buying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, if I didn't already have my pit, I would certainly entertain the idea for sure. You gonna get one? Do it.

Back