To almond wood or not to almond wood that is the question??????

mikeyd

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Yes I do like cooking over almond wood, but I want to get everyone's take on it and see the good/bad and the ugly of what you all think about cooking with almond wood.
I'm picking some up today that has been seasoned for 12 months and it's only $55 for a 1/4 cord already split into 16" chunks and also some small whole rounds in there.

As you all know we just finished the build of our Santa Maria and this weekend will be the first cook on it and I wanted to cook with real wood vs. charcoal. Since Red Oak is pretty much non-existent around here I figured Almond would be the safest choice.

What do you think?

Mike

I used some almond last week. It was nice, but I like a stronger flavor like hickory. That said, if you can get it for a good price, go for it!

I hear ya. I just want to make sure it'll cook well with Chicken, Tri-Tip and dogs. Some guests are silly and don't like the strong smoke taste, so I want to be sure I don't OVER DO it on my first run with the new grill.

It does kick out good heat, but like GTR, I prefer a different nut wood such as pecan or hickory.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I use it a lot! Quite like it actually. Similar to pecan. I say go for it... :thumb:

Cheers

Growing up on an almond orchard, I say go for it. I've cooked with it a lot, and we really like it. There are quite a few carnicerias in The Modesto area that use almond in their trailer rigs.

Matt

Right on guys! Thank you for your valuable input. Now I just have to figure out exactly how much to throw into my pit. It's going to be interesting to find the balance of not enough or to much lol.

How many logs would you start off with? Need good heat for at least 1.5 hours if not 2

Mike

Back