View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #250
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky D View Post
I'll be aiming for 225 today JM, I'll letcha know how it goes.

For the record, your timings would have been helpful at the beginning of the video.... how long before you closed the vents down from full, how long before you ratcheted it down the 2nd time.

Kamados are like freight trains for heat. If too much lump got burning early, it might have gotten you past the 225 sweet spot. No idea, just wondering what else to try, besides a water pan to help curb it, although someone has mentioned that on this cooker, that might just steep out the fire.

Wish me luck, and keep those mods comin!
In reality, the air intake is still the issue here. I need to make one more modification to that in order to correct the problem completely. The slider portion of the vent needs to come back off and I need to install some high temp felt gasket material around the outer edges of it to seal it up nicely inside the slider mechanism. Times aren't really relevant. Without complete control of the air intake it isn't gonna work as perfectly as something like a BGE or a UDS. I will eventually make this other modification. This should allow complete control of the temps from the bottom vent and allow the top air vent to stay open a little more during the cook. Having to close the top vent down so far while the bottom vent is closed tells me that the top vent is creating enough draft at the bottom to keep the fire stoked and air is still getting in somewhere. With the bottom vent completely close, I can open the top vent partially and still create a temperature rise in the cooker. If the final mod doesn't solve the problem, that will mean that air is getting in from the gasket on the ash pan.