Cancer Sucks! Class

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been pestering Scottie to consider holding a competition class for some time. My thought is that holding a class could really help raise funds for the Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation.

What do you all think? Scottie has indicated that he will enlist a former winner of the TOY to help him with the class - so a Jack Daniel's World Champion, and a winner of the TOY would be the instructors.

Looks like the class will be in the Chicagoland area.

$500 would get you two things:

1. A FULL BLOWN competition class with nothing held back taught by TWO champion cooks
2. You would be making a $500 donation to the Foundation - though since you are receiving a service I doubt it would be tax-deductible, but who cares! (http://www.cancersuckschicago.com/)
3. Dinner may be provided by a local BBQ place and the Lions club can help with discounts on hotels

I think Scottie would like some feedback before he commits himself to taking this project on. Does the price seem right? Would the weekend of Feb 19-20 (or perhaps Feb 20-21) work?

Most importantly, will you come?

Looks like I'll be going to two classes this year. Don't tell my wife :icon_shy

I think Scottie would like some feedback before he commits himself to taking this project on. Does the price seem right? Would the weekend of Feb 19-20 (or perhaps Feb 20-21) work?

I think it's a poor date choice as the KookersKare Winterfest is Feb 20 ... and It's highly possible that I'm not the only one that would be interested in both. But other then that it sounds good.

Same weekend as Kelly's (4 Legs Up) class in Independence, MO if I recall correctly.

I would go to Scotties class also if our schedule allows for it.

the date is due to the start of the BBQ season. It could also be February 26th weekend, but I was planning on going to Havasu. This second instructor (which I don't want to announce until this is for sure) is a can't miss! I am honored that he would help me and my foundation out to try and raise monies for cancer research.

I realize that the comp season basically starts on 2/26 and then it's every weekend until December.... Can we make everyone happy? Probably not. But the opportunity just seemed like a nice way to teach some BBQ, which I enjoy doing anyway and raise monies for my cause.

I also want everyone to know that I won't make a dime from this. So I am not jumping on the class bandwagon to make my millions!!! :wink:

Hope I can squeeze this one into the budget as well! Have the go ahead for one, will try for another with the wife!

I will be at Winter Funfest, but sounds like a great plan. I will look for round two!

the date is due to the start of the BBQ season. It could also be February 26th weekend, but I was planning on going to Havasu. This second instructor (which I don't want to announce until this is for sure) is a can't miss! I am honored that he would help me and my foundation out to try and raise monies for cancer research.

I realize that the comp season basically starts on 2/26 and then it's every weekend until December.... Can we make everyone happy? Probably not. But the opportunity just seemed like a nice way to teach some BBQ, which I enjoy doing anyway and raise monies for my cause.

I also want everyone to know that I won't make a dime from this. So I am not jumping on the class bandwagon to make my millions!!! :wink:

We would be interested in Mid Feb
The 26th I was planing on cooking Havasu with you

Sounds like a great idea and great cause. Maybe a little pricey for some, but a great cause if you have the funds. I may come out. I have a love hate relationship with Chicago.

Thom, I'd rather keep it smaller in size. We could probably handle 40, buit I don't want to go that large. I'd rather everyone get some hands on...

Matt, as for price, I was vetoed on it. It would probably be a tax deduction, but I have that question to a tax attorney for clarification... So you can get the best of both worlds...

If I misspoke about the deduction part, sorry! My mom wanted me to be a lawyer, but I became a theologian instead. So, anything I say about taxes is Bovine Scatology!

I would seriously consider it if it ends up being a weekend other than 2/19-20

Oh and by the way 2/5-6 works best for me :mrgreen::mrgreen:

boy am I going to catch hell for this, (but hey its not the first or last time)
I think its too cheap. I think that if you look around at your peers you will find that is the low end the price range. You're a champion teaching an advanced class to a select group of highly skilled people. Take a look around at your peer group teaching similar classes and I think you will find that it is underpriced with one instructor never mind 2 champion instructors.

If you look further at some classes like those @ the Broadmoor or Greenbrier and your class is a cut rate bargain at twice the price

Back