Cancer Sucks Chi class

K-Train

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This question is for anyone that has taken Scottie's class. I'm really thinking about taking the class this winter. However winter plus Chicago=cold. Has anyone taken the class in the winter? Where the heck do you cook? There is probably a simple/obvious answer, but I just want to be sure. Thanks
Keith

First off I want to say that the class is fantastic. Scottie doesn't hold anything back, he will answer anything you ask, the gift bags are loaded, the catered food was delicious, and your helping a great cause.

He had the last years class at the Wellness House in Hinsdale. All the prep and finishing was done inside the heated house. He had his cookers set up outside. We really didn't spend a ton of time outside. Just like a normal contest you don't spend a bunch of time with your cooker open looking at your meat. When we were outside it wasn't something a warm hat and jacket couldn't cure. I would sign up quick because it fills up...

CancerSucks2011.jpg
This was from the 2011 class...it wasn't that cold out.

Seriously though, Scottie and his family put on a great class! It really helped us put our BBQ on a completely different level. And 99% of the time was spent in a nice warm classroom, no need to go outside unless you want to check out the gear.

Like said above....Scottie puts on a top notch class and is worth every penny. The cold was not a issue, you only went outside occasionally.
Missing half of the super bowl because you ran out of gas on the way home is a different story though!!!

Cold was not an issue in 2012, really awesome weather. I should know I live 5 minutes from there and attended. Scottie and Lizanne put on an awesome event - great meals and well timed. The class is well planned but more importantly you will learn from Scottie. At our class we also had the good fortune of having Mike and Beth Wozniak there, (Quau), and they went over a few techniques that were priceless. So 2 Jack champions teaching us BBQ - who cares about the weather!!!! Don't think about it and get yourself on the list. If I'm lucky maybe Santa will leave me another class under the tree this year with them!!!! Send me a PM with any questions.

Take the class! The weather is not an issue. You will be so excited to see what they are doing at the cookers you won't notice the cold. :thumb: Scottie and Mike (assuming he helps again) don't hold back at all....well maybe Mike a little :wink:

View attachment 70696
This was from the 2011 class...it wasn't that cold out.

Seriously though, Scottie and his family put on a great class! It really helped us put our BBQ on a completely different level. And 99% of the time was spent in a nice warm classroom, no need to go outside unless you want to check out the gear.
That looks pretty damn cold. The more I read what you all are saying the more I think I'm ready to go, despite the snow.

We took this class this year and Scottie turned on the light to so many things as a first year team we never would have realized. I still look at my notes from that february class.
I would recommend it for anyone who is entering the competetion circuit and for teams who are already competing. I don't use many of his flavor profiles however, I learned from his profiles how to create my own. His meat selection and prepration techniques are worth double the price of the class. And we still communicate when I have a question.
And lastly, Scottie doesn't keep one dime from this class. The funds go to his charity foundation and 1/2 of the cost of the class is tax deductible for the student as well.
Don't miss this class if you have the opportunity to attend.

2011 we got hit with about 3" of light fluffy snow. Majestic! ;). It was so cold I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I had to keep up with the fellow from Oklahoma..

We try not to conduct too much outside, besides putting meat on and off... unless folks want to be out there.

I appreciate all the kind words. We have had great support from QUAU for these classes. And they donate everything. From these classes we have cleared over $60k for cancer research. Humbles me really.

I'll start working on Beth and Mike about another class. Usually in February.

Thanks guys.

We took this class this year and Scottie turned on the light to so many things as a first year team we never would have realized. I still look at my notes from that february class.
I would recommend it for anyone who is entering the competetion circuit and for teams who are already competing. I don't use many of his flavor profiles however, I learned from his profiles how to create my own. His meat selection and prepration techniques are worth double the price of the class. And we still communicate when I have a question.
And lastly, Scottie doesn't keep one dime from this class. The funds go to his charity foundation and 1/2 of the cost of the class is tax deductible for the student as well.
Don't miss this class if you have the opportunity to attend.
This sounds like us. We just finished our first full season.

I took the class in 2010 and there was no snow on the ground and beautiful weather. It was a great time and the goody bags along with Uncle Bub's food were both awesome. Plus you are spending money to fight Cancer which is always a great thing.

The class is well worth it. Poobah and I flew in from Long Island and was not disappointed. Technique and meat trimming to me was worth the trip. Tons of food to eat, coolers of beer and soda the whole time, and gift bag galore. And Mike and Scottie RIPPING eachother the whole time was awesome.

Hey Scottie, when you set a date, let me know. I really hope I can make it this year

I was at the 2011 class, as Scottie says it snowed a little. The class is well worth the time, and it helps a great cause!!

What is this cold you are referring to ?? :biggrin1:

I was at the 2011 class, as Scottie says it snowed a little. The class is well worth the time, and it helps a great cause!!

What is this cold you are referring to ?? :biggrin1:

You're used to the cold in MI. I like shorts and tee shirts:grin:

Back