• I wish I was good enough for someone to want to ask

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
At HV Ribfest this weekend, a few Brethren got into a discussion of how different teams operate at contests..

Some are very open, willing to share exactly what cooking techniques or injections/marinades/rubs/sauces etc. they use or have used in the past to those who ask genuinely and are not strangers etc.

Others are on the opposite end and will not speak about or show anything they do, might hide during prep time, even re-label rubs, sauces that are in bins or on tables etc. if they leave it out at all.

Where do you see yourself/team and why ?

If you don't like to share - are the accomplishments worthy of holding back ?

Last edited:
I don't mind sharing at all if someone asks, and I definitely don't re-label anything. I pre-make my injections, bastes, and mix my sauces and put them in to Nalgene bottles, but I do this for convenience.

I want anyone's knowledge that is willing to share it with me! I figure the more info I get, the better the final product. And it goes both ways...if I have any advice, tips or knowledge that someone would want, I am more than happy to share, although my data bank is very limited.. :-D

I have no problem telling everybody what I "know". That's how I was able to pick things up to improve. Why not keep that tradition going.

I just tell folks to go and take a picture of my sponsor banner.... All my secrets are there...

I generally tell people what I use or what I do...I just hope they dont listen because I dont have a clue.

haha, if you want to listen to me, ill tell you everything we do. But good luck, cuz i rarely remember what I did, or how i did it.
In all seriousness, why would we hide, relabel, or do anything like that. Not many people make a living off of doing bbq comps, sure winning a few dollars is nice, but we are there to cook and learn.

I tell everyone that I learned what I know from the Brethren site.

I tell everyone, everything. getting anyone willing to listen is the hard part. LOL

The comment was made this past weekend that one of the coolest things that a guy had ever seen was how Andy stopped what he was doing during turn ins to help out another contestant. When asked why he would do something like that Andy replied, "you want everyone to have a shot"

I just tell folks to go and take a picture of my sponsor banner.... All my secrets are there...

thats kind of a cop out........... thats like saying the Yankees win because they wear Adidas.
I can take a picture of any NASCAR car and get their sponsor's but I sure as hell won't be able to build a race car.

I donated all of my secrets to a Brethren Auction. I've seen people who have taken our class post some of our info on the web , it bothered me a little but hey they paid for it so I guess they can do with it whatever they want. I don't mind sharing info with people I know but if some guy just walks up to me and wants to know all my 'secrets' (there are no secrets) I may not feel like sharing.

We don't deliberately mislabel anything but it may end up in a different shaker because we buy most stuff in bulk and refill the shakers.

Shameless plug for our class: Two Little Pigs the Reserve Grand Champ in Hudson Valley took our class two weeks ago.

Shameless plug for our class: Two Little Pigs the Reserve Grand Champ in Hudson Valley took our class two weeks ago.

I think Sled came out of last years class and won his Jack qualifier didn't he?

When is the next one? I want to try and find a way to wrap it around a class at the Sig Academy

Hey Sean, good questrion. But I am also one of those cooks who volunteer at the cooks meeting for any teams that want to mentor a younger team.

I was helped when I was starting out and I have no problem helping out teams. That includes rookies to seasoned veterans. My sister usually says I give out too much info. But honestly, I am cool with that. May the best team win.

I also agree with Steve. Depending on who folks are. I could give my complete recipe and for some folks I could give you a complete fabrication. But usually, I ask what problems they are having and go from there. Trying to get them on track with their flavors first.

So while it seems like a cop out, my banner isn't really. It just doesn't come with Cliff notes...

We're talking about doing one in the fall. What is the Sig Academy ?

Handgun manufacturer I believe Steve. I know Sean and George were chatting about it or something similar recently in the forums.

There are so many variables, I certainly have no problem discussing what limited techniques and knowledge I have. life is too short, and the weekend too busy to be relabeling and hiding knowledge.

Back