• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

12V Portable Jump Start Unit

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I called the BBQ Guru today asking about what they recommended for running the guru when electricity isn't available. They told me a 12V portable jump start unit would work just fine.

Anyone purchase something like this? Is so, any advice? brand?

Castco has them in the auto an tool part of the store. I t works good for anything 12v.

I had one I think it was a coleman used it alot. Got about three years out of it before it quit holding a charge.

I have a Coleman Powermate.... I bought it for the Guru originally as a backup but never used it yet. I just leave it in my car in case of emergency.

I think it was about $40-$50

You just need 12V DC. A small 12 volt car or motorcycle battery would do the trick.

I bought the Black & Decker jumper pack at Walmar for either $30 or $40. It has saved my bacon in the past as well as provide a nice quiet night without the generator running. It has the 12V lighter plug.

You just need 12V DC. A small 12 volt car or motorcycle battery would do the trick.

True. But you can't plug a motorcycyle battery into your outlet and recharge it without a trickle charger. Those little jump start units are self contained, portable and convenient.

Thanks for the information guys. I'm going shopping tomorrow. I'll let you know what I get. Thanks again! :-D

I picked one up at Wally World back in 2006. Run Guru's , pump up air bed , I had to use it coming back from Lake Placid to jump the truck , I love mine .

Rick

I got the same one so I can power 2 guru's at the same time. The extra 12V socket comes in handy. I never did get the inverter to work though.

I got it to work for about a minute once....But it has done great pumping up car tires and running the Guru.

Did you guys buy your cigarette adapter from BBQGURU, or did you buy an aftermarket plug to use with those roadside jumpstarter packs?

I saw on another BBQ website that there might be a way to use a different cigarette adapter to power the guru.

I have several old phone chargers and was wondering if something like that might work.

Any of you electronic experts have any thougths on this?

Dang Matt. Wish I would have saw this earlier, you could have used mine.

I used it for Fire on Ice and it worked great.

I had one and loved it, but left it in the garage plugged in to trickle charge it.My son unplugged it without my knowledge. It sat about 6 months unplugged and the thing died. After that it wouldn't take a charge.

Back