Comp Amenities

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

Would you consider it a positive if a competition ensured that there were vendors on site selling things that could be used by competitors?

What if (specifically) there was someone at a competition selling 4' folding tables for $20 or 6' folding tables for $35? Or a wood supplier was there selling chunks and chips of various types?

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited:
I would consider it a positive. You never know what you may need while there or as an impulse buy.

What I would like to see at a competition is a community sharing table. I have a closet full of unopened sauces and spices most of which i will never open or use. I was going through it yesterday and thinking about dumping most of it. Instead of throwing it out, we put a table out and everybody brings their stuff and do an open trade kind of like a potluck.At the end if nobody wants it we leave it for the general public and let them at it. After that we dump the rest in the trash

Selling tables and wood at a bbq contest? How about selling a smoker or raw meat or a trailer or a generator? :icon_bugeyed

Seriously though, I'd be surprised if anyone selling wood or tables would have any sales at all. Wood and tables fall into the category of "Things Least Likely to be Forgotten". Last year at a contest, two guys were walking around with a two wheel cart selling wood. On Saturday at about 9:00 I asked one of them if they had sold anything. The one guy said they sold one piece. :eek: Walking around all Friday night and most of Saturday morning to sell one piece of wood.

However, I do like it when vendors are available. Things like ice, soft drinks and bottled water are really nice to have handy if you run out or need some more. Even someone selling breakfast food would be neat. IMHO, for something to be worthwhile to sell, it has to be something that I'm likely to run out of and can't go and get at a moments notice. I've never been in a table crisis (yet anyway :-D).

It would be a positive but I really would not care about it one way or the other.

I think most competitors come prepared. I'm not sure how successful a vendor would be selling things that teams are already supposed to have with them.

As well, their prices should be competitive and not trying to capitalize on someone who forgot something. Otherwise, that competitor is likely going to take a ride to the local Wal-Mart, Home Depot etc. to get it at a better price.

I think as a oganizer now i have to say that the more venders the better for the public but as far as competitors thay need things like brown suger krap like that and it is hard to get a grocey store there.

I would say that most folks come prepared to the cookoffs and it might be a waste of time. Unless of course the product was an outrageously low price and highly desired by competitors. Nahhhhh tables don't fall into that category.

Wood might be attractive if it were competitively priced. But would it be worth taking.....well I guess that depends on how much a person could carry to the event. A cord of wood takes up a lot of room. Just chunks?.....nahhhhhhhhh

By the time contest weekend has come I spent about all I want to spend and then some

An Espresso vendor would be nice. How about a knife sharpener?

As prepared as I was for our last comp, I forgot my welding gloves. And fried a guru cord. Luckly the Guru boys were a couple of rows from us.

Wood and Tables would be a luck sale. But the little things, Spices sauces, cords, Etc. may be a possability. Or knives, Cutting boards,

Or if you go to Dover,DE. ...........ezups would sell every year there. I think 40 teams had one taken out last year!:shock:

Ive seen guys selling wood at a couple comps..cost was way more than they should have been though..needless to see I didnt see any lines forming
personally other than ice Im not sure I would be in the market for anything else at bbq comp

Selling fresh parsley or romaine would be nice though, it's is delicate and not the easiest stuff to keep neat in coolers full of Bee... errr, I mean meat.
I like the idea of having a sharpening service come through, I'm not the best at that.

Big items like tables probably wouldn't go over all that well, but a small "grocery store" might work.
Anybody here compete at the Royal use the mini Sam's that sets up inside with all of the other vendors?

I think a professional knife sharpener would do well.

Sleds got a good idea with the potluck table too.. but as far as vendors go.. .. I dont have time to shop around at a contest.

A "general store" would do well, similar to what they have at New Holland. They had alot of staples that someone would need for a contest like charcoal briquettes, lump etc. Having garnish would be a big plus also.

An Espresso vendor would be nice. How about a knife sharpener?

Those two are perfect in my opinion.... Im with everybody else we are usually prepared or do without cause we left it at home, not generally seeking another big purchase like a table etc... But services would be cool..

Back