How to smoke chicken wings

jv431

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What info can you all give on smoking chicken wings. Every time I try to smoke them they get very dry. I don't really care much for hot wings, so can someone give some info on smoking them without adding typical hot wing sauces? How long do you smoke them? How do you prepare them before smoking? Do you use some type rub or what? Thanks for any help. JV

Try this... marinate them in Italian dressing for a few hours, smoke at 220 for 3 hours, drop them in a fryer for 4 minutes to crisp them up, then sprinkle with a good paprika based, salty, sweet rub. I love 'em!!!

I smoke mine at 225° for three and a half hours. I mist them real good every hour on the hour with water. They never come out dry. I also marinate them for a few hours in olive oil and seasonings before they go in.

Try this... marinate them in Italian dressing for a few hours, smoke at 220 for 3 hours, drop them in a fryer for 4 minutes to crisp them up, then sprinkle with a good paprika based, salty, sweet rub. I love 'em!!!

Hmmmm this sounds familiar . . .have you been to Memphis?

I think our favorite place to eat wings was at Central BBQ (they actual had the best BBQ we had down there)

I have done them on my WSM for 3 hours and then deep fried them but found my Backwoods Party on the top shelf at about 300 to 325 does just as good without the deep frying.

Either way I don't do anything before hand and either go the hot wing (wet or dry) or just use my favorite BBQ sauce afterwards.

I have som ein my freezer . . . going to have some tonight.

I think Bobby Flay is gonna be doing something with chicken wings on one of his shows. I was in NYC two-Fridays ago, and went for an early lunch at RUB, and he had just fininshed filming something chicken wing related, but I couldn't find out what it was.

Here ya go. a chicken wing recipe.. takes a batch or two to get it right tho.

Requirements: 2lbs butter, your favorite rub, sauce, or seasoning

Step 1: Thaw your wings, and melt your butter. Mix your sauce or seasoning into the butter. doesn't take much.

Step 2. throw into your smoker, top rack at 225-250, you can use one of those 'grill-topper' grates that look like expanded metal if you want. just be sure you oil it up or the wings will stick. Smoke for 30-45 minutes, misting every 15.

step 3. in a disposable roasting pan, pour 1.5lbs melted/seasoned butter into your pan. put the wings in the pan. shake/toss with tongs to coat well. Put this back into your smoker, un covered, at 275-300 for another hour, hour and a half, shaking the pan every 15 minutes to make sure the wings aren't sticking to the pan.

step 4. once they have acheived your level of doneness (a lot of the butter will have burned/absorbed into the wings. pour the rest of your butter on the wings, shake, put back in smoker for 15 minutes, then pull and drain excess butter.

step 5. eat.

I smoke mine at 225° for three and a half hours. I mist them real good every hour on the hour with water. They never come out dry. I also marinate them for a few hours in olive oil and seasonings before they go in.

I'll vouch for Joe's wings,best i ever had.

Hmmmm this sounds familiar . . .have you been to Memphis?

I think our favorite place to eat wings was at Central BBQ (they actual had the best BBQ we had down there)

That would be the ones I try to copy... They are the farkin bomb!!! When you have the best I figure you should try to copy them:wink:

That would be the ones I try to copy... They are the farkin bomb!!! When you have the best I figure you should try to copy them:wink:

No offense Joe... I haven't had your's so I guess I shouldn't say the best... just the best I have had...

Back