Rib Recipes

93vpmod

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering about all the different rib recipes used by the brethren, so I figured I would start a thread.

For me, I like them with a little zip:

Ribs: Babybacks

Rub: generous coating of OakRidge Habanero Death Dust followed by a nice cover in Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple

Sauce: covered in Mauls Original followed by a round of NoSwineLeftBehind Spicy hot

Smoked on the UDS for about 3.5 hours at 275* no foil and saused in he last 30 minutes.

What's your favorite? List several if you have them...

I'll play. This recipe usually gets pretty good reviews. I make 'em kinda spicy, I use my own dry rub and BBQ sauce and both are more snappy than the commercial stuff.

VR,
Harold

Ingredients:
4-5lbs Pork "Spare" Ribs
Your favorite Dry Rub
Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
Wood chunks or chips for added flavor (optional)

All you need to get started is some fresh Pork Spare Ribs.
Preheat your grill to 225-250f.
Wash ribs, dry and trim as required

Cut rack in two for stacking on grill.
Liberally apply dry rub seasoning to both sides of the racks. Rest for 15-30 minutes.
Apply a coating of yellow mustard to both sides. Allow ribs to come to room temperature just before placing on the grill.
BBQ at 225-250f opposite the hot coals with a closed grill lid for 3-3 ½ hours.
Flip, restack and apply BBQ sauce about every half hour (Or between beers).
Remove the racks when you can plainly see the end of the rib bones bones and cut half of slab in half to check for doness.
Serve with your favorite barbecue sauce.

I allow the mustard to cook in for about the first 45 minutes and then I start shuffling and applying BBQ sauce.
I use my own BBQ sauce and dry rub, but Sweet Baby Rays Sweet-n-Hot is pretty good.

At home I really don't have a recipe. I rub with whatever I feel like that day, sometime just S&P, sometime SPOG, sometimes a home made rub, sometimes a commercial rub. Then I cook in whichever cooker I feel like firing up that day until they pass the bend test, the sometimes a light glaze, sometimes not.

But, for competitions I have a strict recipe and process that I follow.

I'm going to disclose it for you guys here for the first time.

It starts with selecting the ribs. I look for racks that are...

889854-xs.jpg

And then we select the best rack, slice and box!

I hope that this helps all of you!

Well, OK...Doing a rack(whole rack) tomorrow and going with Meatheads Memphis Rub(home made) over hickory at 250(below freezing tonight,wind?) for about 6 hours...I say about, because of temp fluctuations(wind/cold/low coals etc)...Going with NOsauce this time(VERY rare for me)...

Personally I like sauce on ribs early and often(caramelizes,black/thick layer)...very seldom(once/twice?) have I wrapped..

I'm sooo tired of sweet ribs...dry nekkid ribs plz. Lately i've been doing a dry Jamaican Jerk from Island Spice.

Depends on which type of rib, to me.
Baby backs and loin ribs are leaner, have less inherent flavor, so need to be flavored with sauces and/or spices.
Whole spareribs, SL-cut ribs or "side ribs" have more fat, which leads to more flavor. They taste good with salt and pepper, with maybe some onion or garlic powder added.

I stopped saucing Hog Ribs years ago and my Sweetie Pie doesn't like candy tasting dry rubs. So I've developed my own dry rubs based on the 'ole 'taste test'. I slather with regular yellow mustard before applying the rub. Here are two my guests seem to enjoy:

Craig's Southern Style.

1 TBS kosher/sea salt
2 TBS garlic powder
2 TBS onion powder
1 TBS smoked paprika
1/2 tps ground thyme or rosemary
1/2 tps sage
1/2 tps bay leaf
1/2 tps celery seed
1 tps course ground black pepper
Top the rack with slivers of garlic.

Craig's Lemon Pepper

3 TBS lemon pepper spice
1 TBS thyme
1 TBS paprika
1 tps garlic powder
1 tps turbo sugar
1 tps kosher or sea salt
1/4 tps coriander
1/4 tps cumin
1/4 tps cayenne
Top the rack with fresh lemon zest.

Woods of choice are Hickory, Pecan and of course Oak 'cause 'Oak Is The Smoke' in my neck of the woods.

Enjoy Ya'll...........

Ron L-I lost the signal right after you strained the magic concoction through the taupe panty hose. I hope the signal comes back up later so I can finish my notes of the whole process.

For all-I should have prefaced the topic by stating for back-yard or entertainment discussion only.

Thanks to all that have and do reply, it is very helpful to hear of other attempts that may be appealing.

Back