KCBS Judging Class - 5/25/13 in Riverside CA

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Attended KCBS Judging class this past Saturday and had a great time. It was conducted by Gene Goycochea (Inaugural Inductee in CBBQA Hall of Fame) and although we had some technical difficulties, it was an enjoyable and interesting 4hrs.

We were able to sample some good BBQ but were told that it wasn't competition caliber. There were probably 60 people in the class, with the majority never judging before. It was SCARY to see how the scores differed, as most entries had scores between 4 - 9, and I can see that this must be frustrating for competitors. Thank goodness that the low score in each category gets dropped!!!

Gene shared a funny story about fellow Brethren (and local success story) Matt from Left Coast Q. He was discussing a conversation that he had with Matt at his first contest approximately 2yrs ago in Bakersfield CA. According to the story, Gene was doing a meat inspection and made some recommendations to Matt about needing to straighten out his ribs and to get different pieces of chicken as the ones he had were much too small. Gene said that Left Coast Q followed his suggestions about the ribs, but decided to stick with their original pieces of chicken. At the end of the contest Left Coast Q was announced as RGC, but they would have easily taken GC if they hadn't scored last place in chicken. I suppose the moral of the story is: Gene is always right????

Can't wait to judge my first contest (not full KCBS though) on 6/15/13.... Palehorse better bring his "A game", lol.

Attended KCBS Judging class this past Saturday and had a great time. It was conducted by Gene Goycochea (Inaugural Inductee in CBBQA Hall of Fame) and although we had some technical difficulties, it was an enjoyable and interesting 4hrs.

We were able to sample some good BBQ but were told that it wasn't competition caliber. There were probably 60 people in the class, with the majority never judging before. It was SCARY to see how the scores differed, as most entries had scores between 4 - 9, and I can see that this must be frustrating for competitors. Thank goodness that the low score in each category gets dropped!!!

Gene shared a funny story about fellow Brethren (and local success story) Matt from Left Coast Q. He was discussing a conversation that he had with Matt at his first contest approximately 2yrs ago in Bakersfield CA. According to the story, Gene was doing a meat inspection and made some recommendations to Matt about needing to straighten out his ribs and to get different pieces of chicken as the ones he had were much too small. Gene said that Left Coast Q followed his suggestions about the ribs, but decided to stick with their original pieces of chicken. At the end of the contest Left Coast Q was announced as RGC, but they would have easily taken GC if they hadn't scored last place in chicken. I suppose the moral of the story is: Gene is always right????

Can't wait to judge my first contest (not full KCBS though) on 6/15/13.... Palehorse better bring his "A game", lol.
You've got most of the story right..although we didn't take last in chicken(34th of 54)we had 1st brisket,2nd ribs and 8th in pork the chicken did kill us..I actually put sliced breast in with the thighs as they were small..when he inspected us he saw my ribs and told me they were too crooked and I should twist on them a little to help get them straight..I did then continued with my game plan..award time..of course no chicken call then on to ribs..gets to the top 5 and I tell my team"were done no call in ribs either"..low and behold 2nd place!..I walked right over to Gene patted him on the back and said" what do you think of those ribs now?"..he just laughed because he already knew we had RGC..if the day would have ended right there I would still have been hooked.

Too funny. He was also quick to point out how your team is on a huge winning streak - you guys make all us BBQ'ers in the IE proud!!

My "A" game, eh...

Heaven knows I'll do my best. Every year on my team I try to bring a rookie or two. It might hurt my scores, but it brings new blood into the fold. This year I'm sponsoring a new team and that team (and I) have been building a 53 gallon Whisky Barrel Smoker, ala a UDS build.

It should be fun, if nothing else.

Very cool, I will be looking forward to checking it out after the judging is over

I was about to say, I couldn't imagine a universe where Left Coast Q EVER got a DAL...

Wow Guerry, you are really getting into the Competition section ... 1st the hat poll, and now breaking out "D.A.L."?

It's only a matter of time until you start discussing cupcake chicken and putting greens

It's a sickness, I admit. I even answered a question about bark, from a Southerner's viewpoint...

Truth be told though, I read the comp forum as often as I do Q-talk. I just don't post here often, for fear of being trodden upon...:shocked:

So what do you guys think of this huge influx of new judges?..quite honestly as a comp cook it really scares me when a whole new group of judges is unleashed at a contest..weird things happen..and I've seen it happen more than once..it can go both ways..over gratuitous people dishing out all 9's(the table I hope to land on)or judges that start throwing out 4-5's(hope to God I'm not on that table!)which kills someone's day in a heartbeat..it makes me want judges with experience not first timers.

I completely agree with your desire to have experienced judges only. My feeling during the class was that many were comparing the example entries to what they might get at Famous Dave's or Chili's. As competition BBQ is not the same as commercially available BBQ, that would typically result in poor scoring for high quality entries. There needs to be a place for new judges to build experience, but maybe the contest organizers should limit it to a maximum of 1 per table to ensure that that if they are scoring lower than the rest of the table, that it will have minimal impact.

I mix CBJs by this formula for Stagecoach

1/3under 5 contests,
1/3 5 to 10 contests,
1/3 10 plus

So what do you guys think of this huge influx of new judges?..quite honestly as a comp cook it really scares me when a whole new group of judges is unleashed at a contest..weird things happen..and I've seen it happen more than once..it can go both ways..over gratuitous people dishing out all 9's(the table I hope to land on)or judges that start throwing out 4-5's(hope to God I'm not on that table!)which kills someone's day in a heartbeat..it makes me want judges with experience not first timers.

In LB 5 CBJs gave our pork 8s & 9s in all three attributes (5th finish), but a sixth judge slammed us with 8-6-5...comment card and everything! WTF?!! I couldn't believe it. Was he/she eating the garnish or what?

In LB 5 CBJs gave our pork 8s & 9s in all three attributes (5th finish), but a sixth judge slammed us with 8-6-5...comment card and everything! WTF?!! I couldn't believe it. Was he/she eating the garnish or what?

Yeah I've had a few head scratchers myself this year already..just be glad that score got thrown out..one not liking it is ok but two..your done in that category.

My feeling during the class was that many were comparing the example entries to what they might get at Famous Dave's or Chili's...

In the people I've talked with, the scope of subjectivity is a bit broader here than you might find at a bigger event, but the goal of the organizers is to keep perfecting and refining it. (hence the class this year)

I know I've placed in Chicken a couple of years, and I don't think it was ever on par with the Comp Chicken entries and techniques if been learning from here. But without being in the judges room, I don't know if the same is true about all the other entries that go through the door. I have always believed that the reason my entries weren't always winning was because I tended to cook more towards 'backyard' cooking and not 'comp' cooking.

I wish I could have made the above class, but I was at a bowling birthday party with a group of kindergarteners. Spare me the grief...:mrgreen:

Spare me the grief...:mrgreen:

Spare = bowling joke...
rim-shot-.jpg

Back