• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

EUDS - Electric Ugly Drum Smoker

So I started on the lid for the vent holes and making the vent.

Made a pattern with ms paint program on the computer and printed it.

014_zps4a09d9e1.png

Placed it on the lid to mark the holes. Drilled the pilot holes and then used a step bit to drill the 3/4" holes in the lid.

016_zps7f59f545.png

015_zpsa0f67a51.png

Picked up a piece of aluminum at Home Depot.

017_zps73ca22a6.png

Traced the pattern on the aluminum. I used the ruler to make/trace the tab.

018_zps1c3ade49.png

I drilled the vent holes with the step bit before I cut the shape out. Then started to cut the shape out with a Dremel tool.

019_zpsa08b5b7b.png

Vent cut out.

020_zps5c7740d6.png

The vent cut out with vent holes and the lid with the vent holes. Not shown, I put the tab in a vise and slowly bent it over to an angle.

021_zps6bb075b3.png

Vent mounted on the lid.

022_zpse7650550.png

Lid handle to come once I decide on something.

Looking good,
I've go a drum lined up for my first build. I'm thinking eventually I will get either a iq110 or a nano-q. Also a et-73 with those I should be able to bring to the ol hunting camp and do some set it and forget it of my own!

Good luck Marvin. I have a UDS and a Mini-UDS, when I cold smoke, I use an electric hot plate, a small cast iron pot full of wood chips, covered with foil, poke holes in the foil, and place it on the hot plate. Presto! The hot plate being adjustable, you can dial it in according to the outside temp, especially when it's 90 outside and your are trying to smoke at 110 or lower. Works for me.:thumb:

Marvin - With that Smoke Daddy added that will be a very nice set-up indeed. It looks like you thought of everything for this build. I can't wait to hear how it performs on the first few cooks.

Marvin - With that Smoke Daddy added that will be a very nice set-up indeed. It looks like you thought of everything for this build. I can't wait to hear how it performs on the first few cooks.

I think I got the build figured out. The real issues come when I start to cook, I got a lot to learn there!!! :|

Had a little change in plans for the lid.

I really wanted to use a weber grill lid and could not find one on CL.

I looked back and had a few Home Depot gift cards from xmas. Well there was more than enough on the gift cards to pick up the weber grill. So I will use the lid, grate and handles for parts on the euds.

024_zps72239d00.png

The lid did not fit, was close, so had to use a lil persuasion on the barrel lip with a pair of vise grip pliers. After about 20 mins of crimping the barrel lip, the lid fits nicely. :thumb:

025_zps50aaa20e.png

026_zps226d487d.png

027_zpse7a96b20.png

I understand people's fears about the power going out, but how often do you have that problem? Just wondering.

My kids spend their summers working at a boy scout camp. Last summer my oldest son brought a uds down with him to camp. He started cooking pulled pork on their days off. Then a big storm came through and knocked out power to the camp. Power was out for a week. Camp was closes, but the staff stayed there to clean up.

Son ended up cooking for 70+ people a day on his uds.

I had one of those back in the late '60s. It was called an Electric Redi-smok and it was manufactured by Bob Rod Enterprises. A friend of my dad's gave it to me because it was too much trouble to clean up after cooking, but the thing turned out some really good food with absolutely no attention. We used to take it to our deer lease and throw all kinds of stuff in it before daylight on the porch. About 12 hours or so later, open the thing up and whatever you had in there was falling apart tender with a nice smoke ring. Unfortunately, my mom insisted we scrub the inside of the thing clean after every use (seasoning? what's that all about?) and that was such a pain that it only got used a couple of times a year. Finally rusted out after 15 years on a shelf in the garage and went to the scrap yard.

Did the barrel burn out. Needed to get rid of the extra wood laying around! :thumb:

028_zpsaa037ac0.png

029_zps6a1c0bba.png

Used the pressure washer to remove all the burnt paint and grime from the inside and outside.

030_zps209bf081.png

Using the drill and wire wheel to get the junk off.

031_zps03ce7305.png

Back