View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Belaurora
Found some matches.

Default I got the UDS bug Last week...

Hi all,

I have been thinking about getting a smoker for about a month and while doing research I came across the mother of all UDS threads last week. I read it all in 2 days last week and and started on my own. It is about 80% complete now. I have to hand it to some of you guys. Man you have done a great job. I only hope mine is worthy of being here.

So I found an unlined closed head barrel for $20 and a Uniflame kettle grill that included a charcoal chimney for $30. I really wanted a weber for the lid but I decided to just get the Uniflame since it has hinges so I can hinge the top.

I read in one of the threads where the guy cut the head off by grinding the top of the rolled over edge. I thought about it and decided to grind the outside of the edge to retain the top of the curl for a good seal. It took maybe 20 mins with a Harbor Freight el cheapo grinder. I ground a notch so I could realign the top after I got it off. Once the lid was off I carefully used a flap disc to clean up the edges. They were VERY sharp. now they are nice and smooth. The top fits perfectly and has a nice tight seal.

I drilled some holes and got to burning it out. It had some sort of solvent in it. I made sure to wash it out with soap and water before I started grinding off the lid.

Anway I was already doing some welding work on the UDS I decided to weld up some tiki torches too. Made out of old wine bottles.

I will post the fire basket and grate and nipple placement later. It is already done I just don't have pics with me.

I got a Maverick and an IQ110 to go with the UDS. They should be here by the end of the week. I plan on my first smoke this weekend. I am doing on of those stock car driving expereinces saturday so no BBQ that day but Sunday is wide open. Any ideas on what I should try smoking first? My wife said duck... I have a brisket in the freezer right now though...

Happy BBQing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grind.jpg (4.5 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (40.7 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (40.7 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (56.2 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg photo (3).jpg (27.1 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg photo (4).jpg (50.3 KB, 341 views)