• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much smoke is too much?

I know it's a subjective question but I was taught that after 2 hours of smoke the meat has basically absorbed all the smoke its going to absorb. Assuming we are talking about ribs,butt, and brisket, is there a point were you should stop adding smoke?

Note: I'm cooking on a Webber with charcoal and small chunks of peach or applewood.

It is after 140 Degrees IT that meat stops absorbing smoke. It starts around 120 and by 140, you are not getting any more smoke absorbed into the meat. I pull my chips after I hit 140 IT. Just another reason the "low and slow" cooking method is good, you get more smoke flavor.:razz:

Hmm, I just read El Ropo's earlier post. I had always read that I it stopped at 140 but I guess it is just the smoke ring. Thanks for the tip.

Any good fuel that's used is clean when it has enough air to burn. Most stick burners choke down their fires to maintain temps., which leaves an unclean burn. That's one of main reasons I make smokers is to show how fast that process can be utilized. Less than five minutes after loading lit chimney, clean smoky air over 200 degrees.Product on, no waiting because of clean burn. I too am of the 140 degree thought. The easiest way for me to relay is when you have the color and look, it's time for wrapping, panning or some other way to limit further smoke from sooting things up. I use much less wood and still get a hint of smoke which is what I want. Not belching that fireplace chimney taste from food that's soaked up way too much of an unclean fire. Just a little goes a long way. Another thought is how you place your wood if you're using it with charcoal. Steve.

The TYPE of wood is also important. Fruit woods tend to have a lighter smoke flavor than hickory or oak. In my opinion, mesquite is the strongest.

Hmm, I just read El Ropo's earlier post. I had always read that I it stopped at 140 but I guess it is just the smoke ring. Thanks for the tip.

I'm pretty sure Alton Brown would blow this question on a bbq pop quiz too. So don't feel bad. There is lots of inaccurate info being passed around in books and of course on the internet. Heck AB said on one his shows that if you cook ribs at any higher temp than 230, you would end up with rib jerky. So wrong, he really should do a bit more research before saying stuff like that.

Back