• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

For those that grill steaks on Grillgrates...

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Do you take the surface temp of your Grillgrates before throwing down your steaks? Doing some reading earlier today at Grillgrates.com, they recommend not exceeding 650 degrees at grate level... they claim you'll get char marks, not sear marks. Just wondering... I've been wanting to push past the 700 degree mark, but don't want to ruin good steak!

Yeah, the hotter my grillgrates get, the better. Steakhouse style!

They probably just say that on the website b/c people aren't expecting it to make that much of a difference in temp and end up burning their steak. No backyard griller wants to go out ever 90 seconds to flip his steak.

And btw, groupon or living social had mangrates (the cast iron version) on sale the other day for 1/2 off.

Never gave it much thought,

IMG_5588.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

I use the dometemp as a guide and grill by time. usually around 550, so the grill grates are 600++. Yes it is possible to char a steak too much on them. I have done it before. I thought hotta was mo betta! Uh no sir!
Too Hott and too much char
1f1e098f.jpg

Got em so Hott, they all turned white
0c690f02.jpg

Definitely way too Hott. Burning down some mesquite wood for coals! There is no better grilled flavor in the world than perfectly aged mesquite or even post oak burned down to coals grilling a perfect steak!
4a597f72.jpg

b2596ec1.jpg

2b44bc48.jpg

Never gave it much thought,

IMG_5588.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

WOW!!!!!! Ok, I'm convinced!!! My next steak cook will be on grillgrates that will be at a minimum of 700 degrees!! Thank you for the pics! They say everything I wanted to know :)

BTW, what kind of grill are you cooking on in those pics?

I thought Grill Grates were just another grill gimmick, but I was at a competition and a team next to us was grilling Pork Chops for a side category turn in and when I saw the grate marks and how hot he was running his Weber kettle, I was CONVERTED on the spot!

I had grown tired of the flaking and constant upkeep of the cast iron grates on my Performer and Genesis that I just got rid of them and replaced them with Grill Grates and I could not be happier.

So, I have one Large Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis C, the Performer and Q220 all decked out with GG's!

Keep an eye out for special offers, I got a screaming Groupon deal a while back.

BGE and Weber Gasser.

Ok, hopefully this won't start a riot... but I'm dying to know, which turns out a better steak, BGE or your Weber gasser? That steak that you have plated, with a glass of wine behind it... what was it cooked on?

Do you take the surface temp of your Grillgrates before throwing down your steaks? Doing some reading earlier today at Grillgrates.com, they recommend not exceeding 650 degrees at grate level... they claim you'll get char marks, not sear marks. Just wondering... I've been wanting to push past the 700 degree mark, but don't want to ruin good steak!

And have you..............Let's see some PRON...Do, no ask....DO:tsk:

Back