Insulated Firebox + Guru???

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Might be a lame question but I am very curious. Say you have a really well insulated Firebox, like a Jambo, would the addition of a set of Guru Fans/Controls help or be detrimental?

Gurus are a dark road. its a hard habit to kick once youve gone atc even though you probably dont need one

I know most don't NEED a guru or another form of atc but when it comes to running as efficiently as possible whether it be in a comp or just doing your normal cooks there are benefits. For me being a geek I like tracking the temps highs and lows combine with weather conditions. Granted I'm not hardcore into the geek part but modern tech makes it easy. I know in the past on other pits I've had that a Guru would have helped TONS just because the pit was cheap and not very efficient.

I don't know about yall but on my stickburner.. i like the joy of making my fire and adjusting my fire and maintaining my fire.. Gurus, controllers take the fun out it for someone like me. LOL guess i'm old school.. but i have to admit.. on long cooks that are all night.. i gets NO SLEEP.. lol so i guess in the right situation if i had one i would use it for that..

I don't know about yall but on my stickburner.. i like the joy of making my fire and adjusting my fire and maintaining my fire.. Gurus, controllers take the fun out it for someone like me. LOL guess i'm old school.. but i have to admit.. on long cooks that are all night.. i gets NO SLEEP.. lol so i guess in the right situation if i had one i would use it for that..
Do you care your fire by watching and touching.
Guess you do not use a thermometer either

Do you care your fire by watching and touching.
Guess you do not use a thermometer either

Im not saying there is anything wrong with using gurus or stuff like that.. just stating what i like.. and what i do.. (not trying to offend anyone) just stating what i and probly most stick burner guys like in our stickburners.. is all :wink:

load up the cooker...set pit temp...go have a beer, shoot the breeze...grab 3 hours sleep..cheek pit...grab 3 hours sleep...get up get ready for the entries...GuRu all the way..Just saying..

I use a guru at contests and at home when I want to get other things done. This is with a gravity cooker. When time permits, I like tending to the fire with our reverse flow pit.

Sleep and enjoying my party are my main reasons for the guru. Starting at 3am and eating at 3pm then trying to have fun makes for good food but crappy day haha

An ATC system is a time saver and a sleep giver, insulated firebox or not.

I have 2 WSMs. I can set them up using the Minion method with my CybetQ WiFi and walk away for 10+ hours. If something goes wrong, it sets off an alarm and e-mails my phone. Pretty convenient.

I've never cooked on a stick burner like a Jambo. I don't believe you can fuel it and walk away for 10+ hours. If you have to periodically refuel it or tend the fire, it negates one of the big advantages of an ATC.

Sent from my Android phone.

Last edited:
In some areas of the country it is wise to use an atc. My thermo says its 11 deg outside and thats what we call a nice day.

Last edited:
May God strike me dead if I ever put a guru on my Jambo or any other pit for that matter....but to each his own

Not sure about a Jambo , but air flow on a stick burner is crucial for maintaining thin blue smoke! Most stick burners would probably require more air than a fan could supply. I had a guru set up on a Lang once upon a time & the only way I was happy with it was burning charcoal( defeating the purpose of a stick burner )

Might be a lame question but I am very curious. Say you have a really well insulated Firebox, like a Jambo, would the addition of a set of Guru Fans/Controls help or be detrimental?

I've seen it done on most of the pits down here but never on a Jambo. Obviously there are Jambos all over and I have not see all of them but I think about the only mod I've seen was Candy Sue's who has a pellet hopper on the back.

I cooked on an offset with an insulated firebox for the first time this weekend. He had it set up for a guru but I declined. Honestly, I would have found it to be a waste of time and effort. The effeciency was unbelieveable, roughly 1 stick per hour. Keep in mind unless you plan to go north to Oklahoma alot, most of your cooks will be in one of the Texas sanctioning bodies. 3 meats and usually Brisket turn ins range between 2:30 - 5:00 PM. So, sleep is a non issue.

The short answer( too late, huh?) is yes, you can put one on an insulated firebox and yes it will work to evenly control your temps. When they are in use, I think the guys have a charcoal basket with wood chunks versus true splits. It will be an added cost from the builder.

Back