Newbie...started with fatties

Pooj17

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
happy holidays from Ohio! Ok well this board has been great with helping me as Im a newbie for smoking. I first started with naked fatties on the smoker a few times to get used to start up etc. What would be the next suggested meat to cook? pork for pulled pork or brisket? also is there a forum/link to show steps/directions on these?

thanks!
dave

Welcome...Pulled pork or chicken would be my suggestions. They're relatively inexpensive and pulled pork is very forgiving. There is a search bar at the bottom of the page. Put in whatever you're thinking of cooking and believe me...you'll get more info that you could possibly use. What smoker are you using?

I say go with a pork butt for pulled pork. It is an easy piece of meat to cook, that holds up well to overcooking (stays super moist and tender) Also it is a larger piece of meat so that way you can see how your smoker will work over the 4+hrs of the cook.

+1 on pork butt. It is very forgiving and you can do a lot of different things with rubs, injections, etc..

Have fun!

danny....I just bought the Char-griller with side box from Lowes...it was my first time to try smoking so i didnt want to get in "to deep"

danny....I just bought the Char-griller with side box from Lowes...it was my first time to try smoking so i didnt want to get in "to deep"
Most people starting out will over smoke everything. make sure you dont go crazy with all kinds of wood.

I totally understand. HOWEVER....trust me it won't be long before you're looking to get in deeper than deep.....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

I'm pretty new to this smokin' thing as well. I started with some ribs, not that great and realized I screwed up on some pretty pricey food...so I went with a pork shoulder and some fatties. Did those a few times each and a whole lot of reading threads (I suggest: search, read, repeat) and I'm getting better each time. Good luck to you!

another vote for pork shoulder, and +1 on search, read, repeat...best way to learn.

be sure not to pull your shoulder based on IT either...wait until that bone wiggles before taking it off to rest.

Back