What Temperature is the Big Chief?

funman1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Trying to replicate where a recipie calls for using the Big Chief Smoker, and I have no idea what they run at?
Ddi extensive searching and found nothing...
I know they are used for cold smoking and have no adjustment on them so I assume low 100's?

Anyone have one and actually see where the temps stay?
I also know it will greatly fluctuate on outside temp but just looking for a ball park..

Thanks
~Steve~

I think they are actually less than 100.

They are actually a thin aluminum electric smoke generator used for cold smoking cheeses, fish, and sausages.

3E63Lc3N15Ic5L25E7cb4d43f1e62d1a21939.jpg

hmm ok less than 100
Thanks

Maybe this will help....

Big Chief Cold Smoker Page/

Instruction Booklet in PDF Format

You will see most of the recipes call for 1 - 2 hours of smoking and then finishing in the oven or grill.

Being oysters, other seafood, and cheese are involved I am guessing the temperatures would have to be below 100 (or even lower) or the oysters and clams would dry out after 2 hours of smoking at a higher temperature. Cheese obviously would melt if in a higher temperature for 2 - 3 hours...

Last edited:
I have used the little and big chiefs for years smoking salmon, if I had to guess I would say they run about 180' empty, at first when you put your meats in the temps will drop because of the meat sucking up the heat.

I made my cold smoker after my first little chief burned out. I ripped the bottom heating element and associated sheet metal out and placed the rest of the smoker on top of another smoker.

Mine runs 140 to 150 depending on the day

ahhh ok.
I have my WBS cranked up to 130 now instead of down below 100
Thanks guys...

Back