Hot and fast-Low and Slow...Whats the diff?

The Yankee Gator

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've been out of comps for a couple years and am just getting back in. I've always been a lowww and slowww guy, which I understand. But the last contest I was at, LOTS of guys were talking about cooking hot and fast. I know they are not talking about grilling, can someone give me an eduation.:confused:

You should cook the way you are used to and not try to change for comps.

If you want to explore the H&F cooking, there are tons of threads here in our Q-Talk section.

Both ways work just fine.

TIM

I've been out of comps for a couple years and am just getting back in. I've always been a lowww and slowww guy, which I understand. But the last contest I was at, LOTS of guys were talking about cooking hot and fast. I know they are not talking about grilling, can someone give me an eduation.:confused:

Lots of guys are doing 350-ish and using Tx Crutch (foil to power through the stall) especially on briskets and butts. You can turbo ribs too and they are still very good. I do not like Turbo BBQ but many killer comp teams and even the world renowned Kruetz market in Lockhart TX are cooking hot. Kreutz does their briskets in 4 hours! I really don't like it but it's very well respected across the country as a "must eat there" kind of place. Give me low and slow every time but I can see how a comp team would like to keep their cook times under control.

Difference is that you won't sell many t-shirts with "Hot N Fast".

I think it's a stupid moniker, it's not really that "Hot" nor that "fast". Just faster than Low & Slow. It'll still take you a few hours to cook a brisket hot & fast.

We would call a burger "Inferno & Speed of light" by this definition.

Hot and fast-Low and Slow...Whats the diff?

Sleep...:cool:

HNF has been around forever...most old timers refer to it as "quick cookin'"...

We've been known to start cooking at 7:30am Saturday and finish respectably.......and we've been known to start at 10:30pm Friday with similar results.

I figure it's less time to screw something up. It goes against most everything you've ever read about BBQ, but it's good and doesn't dry things out. I was skeptical my first time, but it works great.

I've been using the h & f on my UDS with success. You do have to foil 2/3 into the cook time.

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Actually. old timers call it BBQ or Low and slow. It really is low and slow compared to grilling... and you can take that from a guy that insists its vastly different and superior to low and slow yet essentially the same thing while being identical in a differential way.

Anyone do H & F with pellets?

Yes -- but not at contests. Inadvertently, I had to cook hot and fast at an IBCA contest last year. Rain, which caused pelletcrete doomed me to a 6:30 am start. No pork but I did do a 5 hour brisket. Got RGC.

Wrap the meat in foil and crank up the heat. But is it barbecue?

Anyone do H & F with pellets?

I know a guy that did it, but not by choice, in a 100+ team contest and got a call for it. I didn't care for it, but the judges seemed to.

Some call H&F anything over 230. Others think of low n slow in grades, where to me below 230 is painfully low and unnecessarily slow, in that 240-280 range is where like to cook, and I still call it low n slow. I tend to think of 300+- as that point, between what is low n slow vs. hot n fast... I know some competitors ramp up over 300, but not too many nor too often. What's your definition of hot n fast, vs. low n slow?

I cook our big meats anywhere from 300 - 350...dunno exactly...wherever the bullets decide to cruise at that day...

Thanks! A little hotter and a little faster. I get it, I've have had to do that before, cooking in a breeze/wind I could not quite control. I'll stick with what works for me. Now I know!:clap2:

I think it's a stupid moniker, it's not really that "Hot" nor that "fast". Just faster than Low & Slow. It'll still take you a few hours to cook a brisket hot & fast.

Or a couple of hours if you can get your Backwoods up to 550. Ask me how I know. :shock: Was actually pretty good once all the charred meat was removed.

Thanks! A little hotter and a little faster. I get it, I've have had to do that before, cooking in a breeze/wind I could not quite control. I'll stick with what works for me. Now I know!:clap2:

Well, more than catching up for weather. Hot 'n fast cooks generally fire up the cookers at 4 or 5am for noon turn ins, have big meats out by 9 for a (generally required) long rest.

It's the best way to sleep overnight if you have a stick burner.

Sticking with what you know is best. If you want to change times and temps, experiment at home, not at a contest.

Back