THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
What do you smoke your comp chicken with? Will a certain type of wood make a better looking color on the chicken than others, or does the rub and glaze do that?

All of the above I'd say. I've always heard cherry gives things darker color.

Cherry wood will color your chicken pinkish. Judge 6 will score you way down on color alone...even if it's overcooked.

Peach and apple wood...all day long.

Down here, hickory or pecan seems to be the choice of many. Me, hickory gives them just enough smoke without overpowering it. Just my opinion...

We don't smoke ours, we like to cook it at 300+. That said, we use cherry and oak. Cherry adds a very nice red color to the skin and we use White Oak for flavor. At 300+ we've only got about an hour and some change to put as much flavor in as possible and Oak/hickory/pecan does a better job flavoring than cherry in high heat, short cooks. I also like to use a little Apple when I have it.

It's all personal preference though - don't tie yourself to one or the other because most people use it. Experiment with all and don't be afraid to change things up.

Judge 6 will score you way down on color alone...even if it's overcooked.

Judge 6 is a blooming idiot!:clap:

But, on topic, I use cherry and apple to varying degrees. I like the contrasting flavor they give and by mixing them, the discoloration is reduced.

Back