Double Barrel Ugly Drum Smoker! Build Pics

@ Marty Leach- I will be putting casters on the bottom of it. LOL. It weighs about 400lbs I guess. My atv jack fits right under the firebox and I move it around easily for now.

This kind of stuff floors me. I can't imagine the amount of meat you'll be able to cook with that thing.

Came out very good great flavor and very juicy but I think I let it go a little too long. Should have pulled and wrapped at 160 and it was almost 175 when i pulled it. Oh well it was still very tender and very flavorfull. The Oak and Pecan were very mild but very good flavor.

Attachments

• Burbank-20120823-00340.jpg
    Burbank-20120823-00340.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 538
Awesome. The creativity and mad metal skills of folks like you is just crazy.
Nice work.

Wouldn't it be a lot more fuel efficient to have adjustable openings on either side of firebox into the barrels, so when you want to cook on one side, you can close off the other side at the firebox?

Or have one side of the firebox closeable, and always use the other side for smaller cooks?

That's what I was thinking, then you could cook Chicken on one side while going low and slow on the other.

Thanks again for all the kind words. It all started as a drawing on a napkin. I just tried to take alot of what people complain about their smokers and tried to engineer fixs for that stuff into this pit from the start. It is very versatile and pretty efficient as well. I built in a lot of tuning in case my opening sizes were slightly off. It all worked out, never even had to move the tuning plates. I think it was a combo of doing my homework and getting lucky. I really didn't want to use barrels for this build would have came out even better with two similar sized propane tanks. But all and all I'm happy. I have a cook for about 40 people coming up on Sept. 1st. Cant wait to really get into it. My lowly pork loin just didn't cut it.

@Pitboss JB- I had one side up to 400 deg with the other @ 225 deg. Its all about the draft. I have a 4" stack for each side and I have a damper at the top of each stack. By adjusting the dampers and controlling the firebox incoming air I can make it do what I want to a certain extent. I already have plans to build another one and have some changes to make the next one even better. I will probably see if this idea will sell seeing as I'm out of work at the present time.

Oh and all of this was done without fancy tools. Anybody that thinks this kind of stuff is out of their reach. I used a quality 41/2" grinder , sawzall, and a flux core wire feed 110v welder from home depot. As well as some good old fashion hard work and enginuity. Quality grinder is very important as I went through 4 cheap ones before I learned the hard way. LOL

awesome? can u adjust the temp in each chamber seperately?? or do u always have to fire up the whole thing?

:hail:That is a super nice grill!

OP - you might wanna edit your first post and mention you can adjust temps side to side. Peeps keep asking that same question without reading down the thread.:crazy:

Thanks Barbarian BBQ. I will try that. @ Willie- Yes you can control temps side to side or shut one side off entirely.

Again. Simply outstanding. Curious as to why you took the loin to such a high IT? I usually pull mine around 135 so they'll climb to 140 under foil in the rest.

Here is a pic showing how I flanged the entrance from fire box to the barrels. I made a template out or cardboard ( Very important: Both barrels must be identical openings, smoke stack, doors, etc. all the same demisions) to get the hole locations the same on both sides of firebox. I then put barrels in place and marked the hole onto the barrel through the firebox. I then used a sharpie and tape measure to mark the hole exactly the same but 1" smaller. I cut the smaller hole out on each barrel making a 45deg cut in each corner that went out to original hole line. Once barrels were put back in place i used a hammer and beat the side of the barrel hole into the fire box. We then welded the seams. Makes for a 100% seal between barrel and firebox. The pic shown is before the seems were welded up.

Attachments

• 8-23-12 phone pics (jims Phone) 320.jpg
    8-23-12 phone pics (jims Phone) 320.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 422
@ Deguerie- I had never cooked a loin before and was just dumb on my part. I knew it should have come off earlier. Just a stupid mistake. I was caught up in playing with the new smoker. I do a couple briskits couple butts and 6 racks of BB's on Sept 1st. I won't make that mistake with any of that stuff. I hope! LOL

Here is a pic showing the opening to firebox from inside drum.

Attachments

• 8-23-12 phone pics (jims Phone) 319.jpg
    8-23-12 phone pics (jims Phone) 319.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 420
Here is a pic showing the log lighter installed into firebox.

Attachments

• 8-23-12 phone pics (jims Phone) 323.jpg
    8-23-12 phone pics (jims Phone) 323.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 417
Back