• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I have my Redneck Guru. Also Notley Q uses a guru if i remember right. You don't actually need one but you do need to rattle or kick can every so often to shake ash loose.
IMG_2612.jpg

Oh man, I love it! I'm just recovering from laughing so hard. but what's even funnier is the fact that I thought about doing something like this yesterday.

Sparky

That is cool do you have any other pics . I'm lost on the gizmos. But I made a redneck fan & trying to figure a way to add temp control. Poor man poor ways:cool: View attachment 69701
View attachment 69699
Really built it for my offset but didn't light enough coals for the uds tried it and it pushed enough air to get that thing hot fast. So....came the next idea temp controler?

Last edited:
Oh man, I love it! I'm just recovering from laughing so hard. but what's even funnier is the fact that I thought about doing something like this yesterday.<br />
<br />
Sparky[/QUOTE]
Ok did I miss something. Or r u poken fun at me?

That is cool do you have any other pics . I'm lost on the gizmos. But I made a redneck fan & trying to figure a way to add temp control. Poor man poor ways:cool: View attachment 69701
View attachment 69699
Really built it for my offset but didn't light enough coals for the uds tried it and it pushed enough air to get that thing hot fast. So....came the next idea temp controler?
J, I'm not sure what norcorednect has going on there but you need 3 things to simulate the stoker or guru: fan, thermostat, with switch controlling the two for set temp. I haven't thought about it enough. I'm an electrician and could probably come up with something if I pondered but I might just break down on a guru or stoker down the road if I start catering.

Sparky

I feel a Weber kettle lid modification coming...I'm thinking on adding 2 more vents just like the first one...equally spaced. I'm thinking this will eliminate the hot spot. Thoughts?

How can you tell if you get a hot spot?

Sparky

Probably not a good idea to use this drum dolly right? From what I can tell, it is plastic. Dude is selling it for $25. Commercial grade dolly, rated to carry a 500-lbs barrel or drum.

Attachments

• dolly.jpg.jpg
    dolly.jpg.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 679
  • dolly2.jpg.jpg
    dolly2.jpg.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 676
Now I'm thinking it might if I just put some tiles on the bottom because my fire basket is elevated anyway from the bottom of the drum. It sits in an ash pan. I just remembered I have to post some pics of the newly completed UDS anyway.

Looks like the pioneers of this thread have abandoned this thread and willed it over to the new breed to carry on. Will post some pics maybe tomorrow.

Sparky

They prob. Figure with 9000 post we can figure it out. Heck we might invent some new concoction.. at work right now so I be here later. May be should start a thread to talk & post good chit here

Probably not a good idea to use this drum dolly right? From what I can tell, it is plastic. Dude is selling it for $25. Commercial grade dolly, rated to carry a 500-lbs barrel or drum.

I'd steer clear of that plastic dolly, even with an elevated basket or whatever. In the event that your UDS gets a bit hot(which can happen)you'll have a nice melted plastic mess on your smoker and whatever it's sitting on. Not good.

Aside from that, since it's on casters it will most likely move whenever you tend to the meat or fire. That could get annoying.

I would not use the plastic, but the wheels could sure come off and mount directly to the bottom of the drum no problem.

Yeah, I didn't get the plastic dolly but I def. want a drum dolly like this but not going to spend that much. I'm thinking about just making one. If I welded, I would just weld some caster on but I might just make a furniture dolly with some 2x4's with casters.

Sparky

I got mine on wood also. No probs yet. But other have warned against it. Yet I have haven't had anybody say thers caught fire.doesn't seem to get that hot. But plastic:confused:

I got mine on wood also. No probs yet. But other have warned against it. Yet I have haven't had anybody say thers caught fire.doesn't seem to get that hot. But plastic:confused:
Yeah, wood furniture dolly should be just fine temporarily until I get the real deal. It is just the bottom lip that sits on the wood. My coals actually sit up about 4" above the drum floor anyway. This is my basket - it is one solid mother and heavy too.

uglydrumsmoker3(1).jpg

Doing another test burn in my UDS as I write this to get a better feel. gonna let it burn over night. The first one I did not have a suitable temp. gauge and I had a hard time dialing in the temp. Kind of started off to a rocky start tonight too. Temps shot to 355 and held. I tried backing down to 225 and finally got it there an hour and 15 min. later. Now at 235 and cruising. The main problem I'm for sure I was having was pouring a WHOLE chimney of flaming hot coals on top of the coals in fire basket. So temps immediately were too hot at around 355. Harder to get under control on the downswing then adjusting upwards. She wants to really run with the 2 1/4" bung all the way open so I have her dialed in right now with the bung open about 1" open and only one 3/4" intake open.

What about your's Jethro...how does she like to cruise?

Sparky

Mine likes 235-245 I light about 1/2 chimney dig a little hole in center of basket . I got 3-3/4 pipes . I usualy open all 3 til temp. Then have 1 open 1 at 1/2 and it held temp fine .

She wants to really run with the 2 1/4" bung all the way open so I have her dialed in right now with the bung open about 1" open and only one 3/4" intake open.

What about your's Jethro...how does she like to cruise?

Sparky

Not trying to be bossy here but closing your exhaust leaves you vulnerable to stale smoke or sooty smoke. Usually the rule of thumb is you run your exhaust wide open and control temp with your intake or fresh air...:thumb:
Good luck..

Also starting your UDS should be done "gingerly" try using about 12-16 lit briquettes instead of a whole chimney....! then coax her up to temp instead of trying to snuff her out... Much easier this way...

My first UDS :)

OK, So I decided to build my first UDS, I send to make the firebox today morning and it was ready just a few hours later!
I brought the drum for $12 and was used to carry frozen orange pulp cells. It has a brown paint on the inside, I think is anti-corrosive. Have been thinking if burning it or sanding it by hand, but by hand will be hard to reach the bottom of the drum I think so probably will try to burn it tomorrow.

I have a lid from my old Weber grill which is almost intact, not sure if this kind of lid is better than the original flat lid of the drum or visceversa. If I decide to use the Weber lid I will have to remove the border lip to fit it properly.

I never have used (or seen) an UDS so this is a very interesting project :)
Thank you guys for all the information shared here!
M.

Attachments

• BDSmoker.jpg
    BDSmoker.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 643
  • FIREBOX.jpg
    FIREBOX.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 643
Back