WSM vs bubba keg

Ringburner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can someone help enlighten me on the pros/consider of wsm vs the bubba keg please?

I'm planning on getting a WSM but just seen bubba keg on special for same price....

Sent from my GT-I9100

Bubba keg can do everything brilliantly.
Everything. Roast, bake, Pizza, seafood and steaks, all grilling, and can smoke all day long at low temps.
The WSM smokes brilliantly and can hold a much larger volume of meats.

If I missed something it will get said on this site! :thumb:

The bubba keg will be fine for those 12 smokes at 225 then?

Sent from my GT-I9100

If you can get a Keg for the same price....I would jump on the Keg without hesitation!!!!!!

for the same price get the keg... wsm's are great but alot easier to come by on the cheap

The name "Bubba Keg" has been eliminated on the newer line of smoker/grills. The top of the line model (usually about $850) is the "Broil King Keg 4000" and the stripped down model
"Big Steel Keg 2000" (minus the cast iron cooking grid, swing away 2nd. level grid, side shelves and wheels) is $850 (Amazon prices). You can often find either for $50 less. It's well worth the extra hundred for "4000" model. Some "Bubba Kegs" may still be in stock. They had the same features ast the "4000" model... but were silver colored. Some of the early ones required a bit of Permatex Gold sealant around the intake vent... Not a big deal. They had an optional trailer hitch attachment for carrying behind any vehicle with a receiver type hitch. Can still order the attachment for the 4000 model. Brethren Dreggs has a Broil King 4000 in addition to a MAK 1 Star (pellet smoker) and a small BGE. He might chime in... Prod... Prod... David?... Forgot... It's only 7:45 am out there.

12 hour.....

Sent from my GT-I9100

You can get far more than 12 hours out of a keg. Last 4th of July I did 28 hours (couple of butts and some spares for the 4th of July celebration and after they were done a couple of butts for the freezer) and still had enough after the smoke for a high heat burn to clean up the mess on one load of lump.

That being said, I love my wsm. It's a great smoker. But if you want versatility the keg has it over the wsm. It's a great high heat machine as well.

That's really an apple and oranges comparison. The WSM is basically a dedicated smoker with the a larger volume. The Bubba Keg can do it all but doesn't have the volume. What need are you trying to fill? A larger volume smoker or a versatile smaller volume cooker?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If u only want to cook BBQ the WSM is great for that and can save you some $$$ compared to the keg. But if you want a cooker that can do it all and do it all well, the keg is the way to go.

Forgot to mention I'm in New Zealand.
All bbqs are a massive rip off here unfortunately. Cheapest wsm is $950 and a company has a few kegs available for $999.

I generally only cook for my family so a couple racks of spares, shoulder roast, spatchcock bird, smoked chicken breast, pork belly. Also the odd steak, and of course baked potatoes.

I do have an otg already.

Sounds like the keg might be the way to go

Sent from my GT-I9100

I have both and love them both. The Keg is more versatile. Sometim
es on sale in Fall.

Forgot to mention I'm in New Zealand.
All bbqs are a massive rip off here unfortunately. Cheapest wsm is $950 and a company has a few kegs available for $999.

I generally only cook for my family so a couple racks of spares, shoulder roast, spatchcock bird, smoked chicken breast, pork belly. Also the odd steak, and of course baked potatoes.

I do have an otg already.

Sounds like the keg might be the way to go

Sent from my GT-I9100
Not sounds like, it is bro.
Have no doubt.
Sounds like you do mostly roasting and some grilling?
The keg.
You clearly don't need the only major advantage the WSM offers, and that is lownslow smoking of large volumes.
The keg will smoke more than your family can consume and do it perfectly, plus everything else you mentioned.

Somebody needs to ship this person a used WSM for a reasonable price! It couldn't possibly cost more than $125 for slow boat shipping to NZ. The Austraila ebay lists an 18.5" WSM for normal retail, then tacks on farking $600 for shipping. I'm speechless.

The vendor who is advertizing the WSM on the down under ebay is in the NE US. That's crazy.

Somebody needs to ship this person a used WSM for a reasonable price! It couldn't possibly cost more than $125 for slow boat shipping to NZ. The Austraila ebay lists an 18.5" WSM for normal retail, then tacks on farking $600 for shipping. I'm speechless.

The vendor who is advertizing the WSM on the down under ebay is in the NE US. That's crazy.

Welcome to our nightmare (sorry Alice).
My bigsteekkeg retails for $1599 .
I got it a bit cheaper but we get whacked down under in the antipodes:sad:

I got my Weber 22.5 OTG shipped to the Philippines for $75 delivered to my front door. Too bad you guys aren't visiting the Philippines on vacation. You could have a nice WSM to herd back home.

Back