Whole Hog Sizes(need help!!)

Rustys BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am currently in the market to buy a new cooker. One of the things I am looking for is the ability to go whole hog:laugh:. I dont need any suggestions on any cooker brands but want to know how big of a cooker I need.

The biggest Hog I would ever cook would be around 150-200lbs probably once a year. I would probably be looking more at 80-100lbs on a more regular basis. The one cooker I really want has a cooking grate of 56 x 23 inches and has the outside dimensions that work for me. I would like the hog to be in comfortably and served belly up (dressed I believe it would be called with legs out) and not jammed in.

Lastly how long is a typical 100lbs Hog and 200lbs Hog. Plus how wide once the are butterflied out(probably no hooves)?

Thanks alot for any advice given.

Here is a 125 Lb. pig on a 60" x 42" cooker.

IMG_1551.jpg

I think you will need wider. I have done half a 120 pound hog on my 24" pipe but the whole wouldn't have fit.

Smokeyw - great looking hog you got there. I love the placements and reading on the thermos!

That is actually a gasser (I know, I know, take it easy on me.) built by BQ Grills www.bqgrills.com in Elm City NC. That is a pig I cooked in a North Carolina Pork Council sanctioned competition. It is next to imposiible to win one of those competitions with anything but gas. They are judged on site and a lot of emphasis is put on appearance and skin crispiness.

Back