Does anybody smoke beef over pork.

Brian in Maine

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was buying some chuckies to smoke tomorrow, when I saw a .99/ lb managers special on butts. I picked up a 7.7# and a 5.5. The chudkies are about 4# each, and so they will be going into foil long before the butts are done, and I don't want to wrestle with taking the top rack out to get to the chuckies. Has anybody cooked beef over pork. TIA.

I've always done butts over brisket, but thats just so the yummy pork fat gets all over the brisket.

I can't see any reason why the reverse would not work.

Pork butts smoked under briskets don't seem to taste any different so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd still cook the butts fat down for at least most of the cook as well.

People have been wondering what the secret is I am not telling them when I use the Brazos or my Friends twin Oyler Pits.

The Ribs go under the brisket. They are pork spares cooked with weeping brisket beef fat over them. Bathed in glorious beef renderings

I have smoked brisket over butts and ribs before and it is good... but only when the Backwoods Competitor was full.

I used to fill my Bandera with all the meat I could put in there, butt and brisket on top and ribs and other meat on the bottom. All tasted good to me!

Back