ECB Mods based on a UDS

Z

zacmac

Good morning all...
I have been pondering some mods to my ECB lately. What I'm thinking is to replicate the features of a UDS by wrapping the open aired bottom up with steel or aluminum sheet metal, installing a vertical pipe with ball value for air flow underneath the fuel and installing a stack on top to create a good flow or draft of smoke. I would also rig up a way to use my charcoal basket and elevate it over the charcoal pan so that I have a large amount of fuel and a catch pan for the ash so it won't get choked out.

I know that I have seen this somewhere, but I am striking it out any sites or images.

What do you think? Is this over complicated?

Awesome Hamilton, thanks! What temps are you holding and for how long before loading up again?

I can easily hold 350F. 225-250F will go 7-8 hours on a full load of lump using the minion method. Somewhat depends on how loaded the grill is. It really holds the temps steady once it's set. I've made a few changes since that original post. I ditched the charcoal grate and added a bunch more holes in the charcoal pan. Works better that way. I also took a piece of coat hanger wire & made a handle on one end and a loop to go around one of the leg bolts of the charcoal pan. It's about 6" long in total. I run the wire through the large vent so I can "shake" the pan to get the ash off without opening the smoker. Cheers!!!

Hi there. It's me again.....your friendly neighborhood ECB supporter!!!:becky:

Here's a post I put up in a recent thread that explains the 4 mods I did to mine:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1543319&postcount=15

I just don't see the need to add a vertical pipe for the intake, or for that matter a smokestack. I know you've suggested to base the design off of a UDS, but it's NOT a UDS. It's a water smoker and very much like a WSM, just not designed as well, which is why mods are necessary.

IMHO, there are 2 very important issues that need resolved with the ECB:
1. Airflow control.
2. Ash control.

My 4 mods improved both of those issues for me. Let me know what you think.

Wampus, thank you for the link and the background your thread covers. The one thing that I have to tackle is covering the base of the smoker since I do not have a Gourmet. I feel the air that can seep past the charcoal pan will cause an unbalanced control of the temp. Do you think I need to encase the entire base, i.e. sides and bottom or can I get away with just skirting the sides flush to the ground?

Wampus, thank you for the link and the background your thread covers. The one thing that I have to tackle is covering the base of the smoker since I do not have a Gourmet. I feel the air that can seep past the charcoal pan will cause an unbalanced control of the temp. Do you think I need to encase the entire base, i.e. sides and bottom or can I get away with just skirting the sides flush to the ground?

Just noticed you're from Valpo. Nice to see another Indiana BBQ'er!! There's not enough of us!!!

I'm guessing you have a Smoke 'n' Grill. Check out this thread....
http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

Does that help?

IMO, the most important mod one can make to an ECB is the UDS style fire basket:

Chili002.jpg

It's a 13.5" Weber replacement charcoal grill with a 6" high ring of expanded metal held together with bailing wire. Stainless steel bolts mounted 1.75" above bottom of original charcoal pan.

There was also lots of holes drilled in the original charcoal basket for killer airflow:

Gourmetcharcoalpan001.jpg

zacmac.....I think ^^^^THIS^^^^ is what you're talking about isn't it?

Looks like that's more like your smoker. As I said....I don't have this situation, but this may be what you need.

IMO, the most important mod one can make to an ECB is the UDS style fire basket:

Chili002.jpg

It's a 13.5" Weber replacement charcoal grill with a 6" high ring of expanded metal held together with bailing wire. Stainless steel bolts mounted 1.75" above bottom of original charcoal pan.

There was also lots of holes drilled in the original charcoal basket for killer airflow:

Gourmetcharcoalpan001.jpg

Alright....digging what you did here, El Ropo.

First....would you mind posting these photos in the ECB Gourmet thread I put up today? It'd be a great addition to the info I have on that thread. Here's the thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104545

Second....other than being able to stack a lot more coals in it, what benefit do you think the walls on the charcoal basket offer? I mean, that may be enough....just asking. On mine, I just used the WSJ grate and have always found that I could stack enough coals on that to keep it rolling for long enough. I would see the benefit of being able to completely remove the basket and dump out ash on a REALLY long cook, though.

Also.....I'm gonna drill the holes as you did. Easy enough and a great improvement.

Thanks!

ECB LOVERS UNITE!!!:heh::boxing:

Back