Changing Contest Approach. Opinions Please...

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We cater a bunch, and have cooked 2 or 3 contests a year on our catering rig for the last 4 years. We now have a toy hauler and the hopes to cook 10 or 12 contests a year. The plan is to use my FE100 (Traeger Control) and my large BGE, plus I'll take my Louisiana Tail Gator along. Any tips, comments or useful suggestions?

You've got great equipment and commercial experience. One thought: Consider taking one of the classes under the aegis of KCBS (conducted by champion BBQ'ers). There is a huge difference between competition BBQ and what sells to the general public. Competition is much more exacting and doesn't easily translate to profitable mass market products (but there are some successes here and there). I think you'll find this interesting and perhaps useful to your increased competition effort. Good luck!

I won the Jack in one FE-100. I've even flown in to contests and have won GC cooking only on a FEC. Just start everything earlier and hold the large cuts.

Thanks Scottie - hopefully what I learned from you will help me dust off my skills a bit. About 5 years ago, pre-catering, we were somewhat competitive. We've had first place category calls in all but pork and a GC at a 50+. We actually went 12 or 13 contests with at least 1 call. BUT, that was then and this is now. Not having the FEC 500 will be odd, but having A/C and a bed will be nice.

Back