cleaning the thermapen prob

blackdog043

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What do you use to clean the thermapen prob between temp checks. I usually go inside and wash it off with soap and water. I'd rather wipe it and stick it back in my pocket. Thanks

I was thinking with meat not being quite done, I would need it sanitized.

I keep a tub of these on hand for catering and a tub at home for general use.

http://www.foodsafetydirect.co.uk/acatalog/Thermometer_probe_wipes.html
J236.jpg

Yeah I just keep a tub of hand sanitizing wipes out.
I get em from Kroger/Wal-Mart, they're like a buck for 40 of em. I have those suckers lying all around the house.

My wife gets really freaked out about raw poultry, so I use those suckers all the time.

I must be behind in the times. I wipe off with a clean dish cloth. I don't start checking temps too early.

Those wipes are a mandatory food safety requirement over here for food service to help against cross contamination.

You can get them in individual wipes also to put in your pocket. I found one of my old belt glove pouches so they are always with me while cooking along with a spare set of gloves.

O don't check temps until late in the game, actually when I'm pretty sure we're done. I always have a dish towel hanging around somewhere that I use.

If you don't have the wipes you can use a sanitizing solution and a paper towel.

To make a sanitizing solution just add one capful of bleach per one gallon of water (at room temperature). You can keep this solution in a small pail near where you are working and just dip the probe and wipe before each usage. I work in a deli and this is the way we clean our probe between temperature readings.

The actual reason, besides entertaining the Brethren, that Thermapens come in different colors is that many food handlers use different colors to indicate how items are used. (Differerent colors for veggies, raw meat, cooked meat, etc.)

If restaurants are concerned enough about cross contamination to color code knives and cutting boards, maybe it's worth washing the probe off now and then, especially when probing meat that is still under 140.

I forgot about the sanitizing solution, I have to make some of that. Thanks

Back