My first brisket

Sbprobasco

Reaction score
This weekend I visited Steph at Simply Marvelous BBQ in Ventura and bought 5 - 5 pound bags of his rubs for myself and a friend. While chatting with him in his garage he gave me a taste of each of the rubs. They were all so good I don't know which one to use on my first ever attempt at smoking a brisket. Has anyone used the cherry rub on a brisket? Are one of the other flavors better for beef?

The brisket is 8 pounds. I was thinking of cooking it at 225 deg fat side up. Do people usually flip the meat half way through the cook or just leave it?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am not going to start until Friday night or Saturday morning so I have plenty of time to figure this out and not screw it up.

I'm a fat side towards the heat guy myself. Brisket has enough internal fat to baste itself and the fat gives a buffer between the meat and heat. That being said, someone did a test a few months back and they could not tell the difference either way.

I think on a UDS or something with direct heat, then fat side down is best.

If the rub is sweet, I would not put it on brisket.

I have done it both ways - up and down. I think having the fat down as an insulator makes good sense. The first time I did it the other way thinking it would self-baste during the process. Both ways came out great. I agree with the rub - sweet probably is not a good idea - sugars will burn. I usually use Montreal with Worcestershire sauce and I want to try the plowboys bovine rub. Good luck!

I like to leave the fat side down. I like a "beefier" rub with beef base, w-sauce powder, garlic, onion, paprika, a small amount of demerera sugar, black pepper and season salt. I also spray with apple juice a few times during the smoke. Cook it low and slow and it will be awesome.

I go fat side down, I have used all of Steph's rubs on beef with good results. I would go with the Season-all if he got you some of that, otherwise the Sweet and Spicy is the way to go. The Cherry and Pecan are best on pork.

Plowboys Bovine rub is really good. I have not used it on brisket yet, but it rocks my flank steaks. They are unbelievably good with the Bovine rub.

Good luck on your brisket, it sounds like you will be rocking it!

I start with the Fat cap down, flip after 4-5 hours and then again for the last few hours of the cook. Just makes sense to me to rotate the side to the heat. Salt and Pepper is good on a Brisket.

Back