• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Teriyaki

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Another staple of our New Year celebration is teriyaki chicken. We have a family recipe that I have been tweaking for the past 30 years since it was handed to me once I got a feel for the taste. When I make this at home, I use apple or cherry wood, when I am up north, I often use alder as there is a giant pile of it in my sister's backyard. The basic recipe is shoyu, mirin, sake, ginger, garlic, sugar.

Teriyaki Chicken Marinade:
3 cups shoyu
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup sake
1/8 cup mirin
4 large cloves garlic, grated
1/2" piece ginger, grated
PC310629.jpg

Mix all ingredients. Allow to sit until sugar dissolves and pour over chicken pieces in seal-able container.
PC310631.jpg

Allow to marinate for at least 8 hours. If I am using whole, split, spatched or quartered chickens, I will go 12 hours. The purpose of the marinade is to both introduce flavor and function as a brine as well. After allowing the chicken the marinade, I will place it on a low fire until the chicken is cooked through, once the chicken is cooked, I will move the chicken over a hot fire to get some color and rendering on the skin. If I am going to use the chicken for a presentation type of dinner, I then glaze with this marinade, which gives a very shiny finish and supports the flavor of the chicken.

Teriyaki Chicken Glaze:
1 cups shoyu
1 cups sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/8 cup mirin
1 clove garlic, pressed, no pulp
1/8 tsp. ginger juice

This year, we used boneless pieces and sliced or portioned for lunch. The picture is not the loveliest, there seems to have been some malfunction with the photographer and this is the only cooked photo. Beer may or may not have been involved. I can't remember.
P1010644.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Wanting to make a more traditional Teriyaki vs the bottled stuff.

Who doesn't buy their soy sauce in a paint thinner can?

Paul, you want to make that recipe more traditional, delete the sugar, and add 1/8 cup honey. Traditionally (as far as this goes, since it is not really a traditional dish) the glaze was sweet, but, the marinade was more salty/sweet in balance. The Americanization of the recipe has made it much sweeter and thicker that you would normally encounter, and of course, now the thickeners are not even what you would find traditionally.

Thanks for sharing your recipe! I love a good chicken teriyaki, and a similar Filipino version called chicken adobo. Soy sauce marinade and grilling makes for a great chicken.
I grew up in San Diego (dad was in the navy) in a neighborhood with a high Filipino population, so chicken adobo and lumpia were staples in my youth.

what is this "shoyu" that you speak of?

shoyu, ah, sorry about that, soy sauce, Japanese style soy sauce to be specific.

Beer involved or not...looks and sounds great! Thanks for sharing yet again.

shoyu, ah, sorry about that, soy sauce, Japanese style soy sauce to be specific.

Shoyu, sounds right to me!!:p:p
Oh yeah, chicken looks great!
Over here its a staple... add a little sesame oil, and it becomes "korean" BBQ, great beef or chicken...

Sounds good. What would recommend using if I eliminated the sake?

Sounds good. What would recommend using if I eliminated the sake?
Larry, are you looking for a no-alcohol option or just no sake? If just no sake, you can use sherry or wine. If no alcohol, here you go, it seems crazy but, give it a try.

3 cups shoyu
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/8 cup rice wine vinegar
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup honey

The use of the vinegar creates a similar flavor profile of fermented sugars and supports the carrying of flavors that alcohol performs in the recipe. Another recipe I have used is the use of dashi (bonito stock) and lemon zest, I used 1/4 cup strong dashi in place of the vinegar along with two large strips of lemon (or yuzu) rind. As for glazing, you could just glaze with honey and be fine.

Larry, are you looking for a no-alcohol option or just no sake? If just no sake, you can use sherry or wine. If no alcohol, here you go, it seems crazy but, give it a try.

3 cups shoyu
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/8 cup honey

The use of the vinegar creates a similar flavor profile of fermented sugars and supports the carrying of flavors that alcohol performs in the recipe. Another recipe I have used is the use of dashi (bonito stock) and lemon zest, I used 1/4 cup strong dashi in place of the vinegar along with two large strips of lemon (or yuzu) rind. As for glazing, you could just glaze with honey and be fine.

Thanks. It is the no alcohol option I was looking for. I'm going to try this on Saturday.

I figured, the marinade should taste great before you add the raw chicken. I have never tasted it after adding the raw chicken. If it is too acid, you can always add some sugar. Oh, if you use Kikkoman instead of Yamasa, you need more sugar. If you use Tamari, you might want a little less sugar.

Looks good landarc, I'm a teriyaki lover. I buy it though, my fav is Veri Veri Teriyaki, oh man its good stuff. Not as good as the freshly made stuff I've had but pretty darn close! My problem is when I make it I can't stop eating it and I feel like jaba the hut when I'm done.

3 cups shoyu
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/8 cup honey

The original recipe has the exact same ingredients my Grandma from Japan used. And it was brined, as I now understand the process.

I've got to try your recipe with the basic Japanese mother sauce, Dashi. Seems like the acidity from vinegar, lemon, or yuzu would help get things going like alcohol too!

I think the recipe and deep marination from "brining", along with a slow start, then a high heat sear with good color without being overdone, is the secret of this technique.

Thanks for the great post Bob,
Gregg

Nice recipe Lando!
Soy sauce a big winner in my book when it comes to chicken!
Especially when you let it marinade overnight.

Back