I have 5k to spend

The DPP Fat 70 has a ton of real estate per dollar. It can also be set up as a massive direct grill. It is a really flexible unit, which is important for catering...

I think I may stick with a spicewine. I love the product they put out and they are very easy to tend to. I have a medium and will probably get a custom made. I spoke with Jay last night and I am suppose to go over the details today. I will let you know what we come up with. Thanks everyone.

My thought is, if you are thinking of doing this all the time you will want somthing like an Ole' Hickory or Sothern Pride, unless you are doing compititions, if that is the case you CAN"T use those. The best part of those is you set it befor bed, wake up, & its done ! I do onsite cooking, so I use something with a little flare, I built a Lang clone 84 D. Folks that are paying you WANT to see you tend a fire, & do a little sweat'n. Thats why I charge a little more .... they get the show.

If for catering... I would definitely be looking for something that is set and forget. I don't want to be babysitting my stickburner for every catering job I land. Ole Hickory CTO would be a good choice for that price... can fit about 30 butts.

kooker

here is the inside of mine, great for parties as fill size steam trays fit inside..

Last edited:
If for catering... I would definitely be looking for something that is set and forget. I don't want to be babysitting my stickburner for every catering job I land. Ole Hickory CTO would be a good choice for that price... can fit about 30 butts.

No doubt. You got enough to worry about when it comes to running a catering business. Your time is much better spent doing something else than tending a fire.

I am dead set on a stick burner! When catering you should have people doing setup and people doing the cooking (YMMV). We try to keep stations seperate. For large parties or weddings, I rarely get to cook, I call on Country and also Mista for this. I am too busy doing other chit such as chatting with the client, supervising various stations, tablescapes, etc.

Of course this is my opinion time and time again, I just think stickburners offer the client something special versus an oven that receives pellets :twisted:

This thread also touches on the subject: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59117

Disclaimer: YMMV:biggrin:
Although I haven't done the catering thing yet, I am in agreement with BBS about the stick-burner. What a show it puts on...
That smell (Lynyrd Skynyrd mod) wafting through the air makes people anticipate good things... :-D

My thought is, if you are thinking of doing this all the time you will want somthing like an Ole' Hickory or Sothern Pride, unless you are doing compititions, if that is the case you CAN"T use those. The best part of those is you set it befor bed, wake up, & its done ! I do onsite cooking, so I use something with a little flare, I built a Lang clone 84 D. Folks that are paying you WANT to see you tend a fire, & do a little sweat'n. Thats why I charge a little more .... they get the show.

Have Spicewine build a firebox on the side and run the chimney up the back so the smoke pours out the top of the smoker. The smoke from the firebox wouldn't have chit to do w/ your cook, but the customers would get their show.

You could even use the stuff that the Vatican uses in their fireplace when they elect a Pope and change your smoke color when you wanted to.

Back