View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchefvt52 View Post
That all looks pretty good to me. You've got guts to present chicken breasts :)

The slice of brisket in the back of the box looks very thick but that may just be my old eyes.
I figured I plan to only do one comp this year so why not go out swinging. That is actually 2 slices in the back. Camera angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
Chicken - 6 grill marks look contrived
Ribs - 5 haphazard placement appear to be just put in the box
pork - 6 average just chunks not pull and/or sliced placement could almost be considered marking
brisket - 5 resembles pot roast and really thick slices probably overdone

that is what I would have scored and am a cbj and cook both and would have filled out a comment card with these statements
The grill marks were contrived. I've been planning it for weeks. I showed the rep my pork box and he didn't have any problem with it. And he is a KCBS board member. And I thought as a KCBS Judges you are supposed to judge the meat in the box, instead of what isn't in the box. Your statement suggests that you would mark down because there isn't any sliced or pulled. Perhaps a refresher course is in order? Glad all judges aren't as tough as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Porks View Post
-Chicken looks absolutely great!! Nice shine not over sauced!(9)

-Ribs look good too. The rib at the bottom left is not rectangular but that's my only critique. Nice glaze, not over sauced and I like the arrangement! (8 )

-Pork I like the texture of your greens. My only critique is I would make certain to make sure every chunk has some bark on it. Although maybe they do but you flipped them for the every-other design. Nice work. ( 8 )

-Brisket looks so moist and tender. Color is good too. The back slice seems really thick to me but maybe its the camera angle. The grain on the left of those slices look so delicious. I guess the only critique and this may be because the camera emphasizes this is to make sure you brush your finishing liquid is evenly spread over the meat. It looked a little splotchy.( 8 )

Also great work with the greens!

So what were your scores and at what comp?
My plan on the pork was to present alternating pieces of bark and interior meat for the judges. You'll notice there are 6 pieces of each.

Here are my places

Chicken 32nd
Ribs 10th
Pork 26th
Brisket 5th.

13th Overall out of 57 teams. Biggest KCBS contest in California ever.

I'll post my appearance scores in a bit.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->