Backyard Baby Backs - Pron

Bogus Chezz Hawg

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I ended up doing a 3-2 method on these ribs at 225 F with apple wood. I melted a stick of butter in a small saucepan, and then added 1/2 cup of light brown sugar & 1/2 cup of honey (not pictured). I poured that mixture over the slabs when I wrapped them at the 3 hour mark. A friend brought over a pork loin a little late, and I left the ribs in until the pork loin was done. By competition standards these were overdone. By my backyard standards they were fallin' off the bone, lick yer sticky fingers, good eatin' ribs.

DSC02391Small.jpg

My pork rib sauce reducing on the stove. All I will say is apple juice is the main ingredient.

DSC02393Small.jpg

These were from Sam's. The membrane was already removed from 1 of the 3. That's only the 2nd time I've seen that.

DSC02396Small.jpg

I made a rub based on Mike Mills' "Magic Dust". I tweaked it a bit. They went into the fridge overnight before cookin'.

DSC02400Small.jpg

The backyard cookin' zone was around 50 degrees & sunny. Nice for January in northern Colorado.

DSC02402Small.jpg

This is at the 3 hour mark for the ribs. Time to wrap them with the butter, brown sugar, & honey mixture. The pork loin just went in.

DSC02405Small.jpg

Here is the sunset view from my cookin' zone. It was about 5pm. Time to eat!

DSC02407Small.jpg

A finished slab. I didn't need to put any of my homemade sauce on it. The original rub (I never added more) and the butter, brown sugar, & honey mixture was all that was needed.

DSC02408Small.jpg

I used a butter knife to cut these. It tore the "overcooked", fallin' off the bone, ribs up a bit.

DSC02409Small.jpg

Does anything really need to be said here? :lol:

Last edited:
Wow, nice job on them bones.

Thanks guys!
BBS, my friend took the loins home with him. I was just cookin' them for him. I did have a couple of sammies from leftovers and drank his beer the following day at his house.

LOL!!! How much Beer! If the loins turned out like the ribs I am sure you finised the beer at his house. :mrgreen:

Nice work! Next time we'll have to get together and add the ABTs to your rib menu! Beer, ribs, ABTs, good times! :lol:

Back