Using a rotisserie on a drum/kettle

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just ordered my rotisserie for the drum i'm doing and i'd love to hear how some of you all use it...For example do you like going lid on or lid off? Who uses grill baskets and what temps do you like to keep?

I'd love to see pics of stuff you cooked and how you did it. Thanks! :-D

I've had a second drum in the wings that I planned on fitting for the Weber rotisserie (bought it already). Just got too busy with my other cookers and haven't completed it yet.

This thread may kick me into finishing. I plan on using it with a domed lid so that I can turn birds on it.

I've had a second drum in the wings that I planned on fitting for the Weber rotisserie (bought it already). Just got too busy with my other cookers and haven't completed it yet.

This thread may kick me into finishing. I plan on using it with a domed lid so that I can turn birds on it.
Yep i'm doing the dome lid also....otherwise i was going to lower the rotisserie and use flat lid. I'm excited, new Q adventures!

I use a cross section of another drum to use as the sleeve for my rotisserie. I always keep the lid on, otherwise it would turn into an inferno!

Here's a couple of my UDS rotisserie threads:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144121&highlight=Rotisserie

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115691&highlight=Rotisserie
Thanks Moose! Say do you ever use a basket on the spit?

:popcorn:

I am in.

Oh wait, this isnt a build thread. :doh:

riboltaor_zpsd6bf9a59.jpg

:popcorn:

I am in.

Oh wait, this isnt a build thread. :doh:
Nope, it'll be simple and ugly!

No charcoal grates just rotisserie only. I'll run charcoal and also do wood fires in it...get a good bed of coals and i'll be able to add wood easy.

S7EDSC00300.jpg

DSC01281.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

Bottom Round for roast beef.

S9EDSC00412.jpg

S9EDSC00415.jpg

75MVC-006E.jpg

Ham Roast

71MVC-001E.jpg

71MVC-007S.jpg

Kabobs

59MVC-005E.jpg

Hot Chicken Wings

52MVC-019E.jpg

Two Whole Chickens

Dave you're only about 2 1/2 hours away from me. Cook up up like 2 of those dishes and i'll let you know how they taste! :laugh: Holy crap that looks good!

I like those style holders ! So where did you get those?

you have seen how I do it ;)

I go hot, about 350 I dont use a temp probe, just fill a chimney, pour it in, divide in half with my shovel, lay a foil pan in the middle

stick the rotobird on and let it rip

(this is for a 22 OTS)

Attachments

• IMG_1123[1].jpg
    IMG_1123[1].jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 144
you have seen how I do it ;)

I go hot, about 350 I dont use a temp probe, just fill a chimney, pour it in, divide in half with my shovel, lay a foil pan in the middle

stick the rotobird on and let it rip

(this is for a 22 OTS)
So why did you divide the charcoal in half with a shovel?

I've played around with configuration in my kettle rotisserie. Some put coals odd to one side, some split them into two piles. I've been thinking of doing a ring of coals. I like using the weber baskets, I can move the fire around some, I even put in the grate and placed them next to the bird. I gotta get me a ribolator.

Your next thread should be "the chicken king goes for a spin"

I've played around with configuration in my kettle rotisserie. Some put coals odd to one side, some split them into two piles. I've been thinking of doing a ring of coals. I like using the weber baskets, I can move the fire around some, I even put in the grate and placed them next to the bird. I gotta get me a ribolator.

Your next thread should be "the chicken king goes for a spinJust for that i'm gonna do pork! :laugh:"[/COLOR]
The light bulb finally went on. I don't need to split the coals because my coals are gonna be further below the meat since i'm using the 55 gallon drum.

I'm actually gonna set up the charcoal basket similar to how i do for the other smokers.

I was for the ribolator until i read the meat really isn't self basting. Now i did find some good grill baskets and ones for roasts.

I want a ribolator for capacity. Well that and there's just something special about rotating food, even the 7-11 hot dogs look good spinning.

I want a ribolator for capacity. Well that and there's just something special about rotating food, even the 7-11 hot dogs look good spinning.

Yea my brain is spinning on the capacity thing too. I'm gonna end up using 2 or 3 separate rotisserie spits in my drum at some point.

For now i'm gonna use the spit and this.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Onward-Manufacturing-Company-Non-Stick-Rotisserie/dp/B0000CGE87/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398395354&sr=8-1&keywords=rotisserie+grill+basket"]Amazon.com: Onward Manufacturing Company Non-Stick Flat Spit Rotisserie Grill Basket: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2B4wQbrooL.@@AMEPARAM@@51%2B4wQbrooL[/ame]

Yea my brain is spinning on the capacity thing too. I'm gonna end up using 2 or 3 separate rotisserie spits in my drum at some point.

For now i'm gonna use the spit and this.

Amazon.com: Onward Manufacturing Company Non-Stick Flat Spit Rotisserie Grill Basket: Patio, Lawn & Garden

The first thing I did on my rotisserie was ribs. That would have made it easier.

My neighbor saw an episode of bbq U and wanted me to try it. He bought the rack so ok. Turned out good just a major pita.

The first thing I did on my rotisserie was ribs. That would have made it easier.

My neighbor saw an episode of bbq U and wanted me to try it. He bought the rack so ok. Turned out good just a major pita.
What was, getting it on the spit?

Yup. Lacing the ribs on the spit an then getting them off without that fancy basket.

Back