UDS Ball Valve - What Size?

Thawley

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Fixin' to build another Ulgy Drum Smoker. "Thinking" about going the ball vavle route on this one.

For those of you using only one ball valve, what size do you think is best?

Thawley - smoking a brisket as I type...

Guess I should clarify, I am only interested in the best size for airflow and adjustability. Whatever that needs to be, I'll make it fit...

I use 3/4". I run one cap off and throttle valve to dial in temp. Some have been putting multiple 1/2" but makes it more expensive.

I have one 1/2 inch ball valve. I also have three other 1/2 inch nipples with caps. I usually run with two open and ball valve about half way open.

I have one 1/2 inch ball valve. I also have three other 1/2 inch nipples with caps. I usually run with two open and ball valve about half way open.

What I'm wanting to do is have ONE air opening. Finely adjustable and fully closeable. Two vents is what I have now.

Anyone using a ball valve as their one-and-only intake source? If so, what size? And is that size the one you'd use if you were doing it again?

Pat, I have the same as Norco, and Gator, I'm thinking that if you want only one valve for airflow, you would need at least a 1.5 - 2 inch nipple (if there is such a thing) and valve, one 3/4 or 1/2 will not get enough air...thats my opinion anyway...

I have whatever Norco installed in mine---------which was seasoned yesterday with left over pork butt fat and a few oak logs. Damn it smells good in there!
Cookin on it all weekend this weekend.

Where are all the HVAC guys - Wonder if there is some calculation to get the required cross-section for airflow. I guess at a minimum you could calculate the cross-section of two or three 1/2" nipples and add that to the corss-section of a 3/4" ball valve and get the total cross-secton needed for one ball valve. think -

Areaofacircleformula.JPG

-
May involve math :wink:

Ball valves

I'm an HVAC guy and I use a 2" ball valve it's plenty for you combustion air need and its good for adjustment for temp. maintance and it'll shut down tightly also, but don't have a heart attack with the price...

Most of the time I use 3/4" close to full. I had just mentioned 2 because I have had to open (remove) 1 cap with heavy load. If you send me your email address I will send a power pont I made up on how I built mine.

I have 3 one inch nipples on mine, 2 with caps and one with a ball valve. MOST of the time the temp can be controlled with just the valve.

Back