Comp Bbq

chrisr

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Getting ready for my first competition and was wondering on Brisket do most of you guys smoke flats, points or hole packers. I was told they only want seven slices in the turn in box and no burnt ends. Also for people who wrap in foil on brisket and pork butts if you put some sort of beef stock or apple juice inside the foil do you put the meat fat up or down in the container?

Getting ready for my first competition and was wondering on Brisket do most of you guys smoke flats, points or hole packers. Whole packers. I was told they only want seven slices in the turn in box and no burnt ends. Fill the box with nice uniform even slices. Burn't ends (cubed point) are great if they are as good as your slices...1 inch cubes. Also for people who wrap in foil on brisket and pork butts if you put some sort of beef stock or apple juice inside the foil do you put the meat fat up or down in the container? Yes...1/2 cup liquid...fat cap down.

Good luck! Better yet...have fun! :becky:

I do not add anything when I wrap.

I am assuming this is IBCA. Their rules as to what is acceptable is different from KCBS. It looks like 7 slices of brisket is what they like to see, although the rules say the promoter or head judge will give exact quantities to be turned in. Here is the IBCA rule on Judging Tray Contents.

9. JUDGING TRAY CONTENTS — IBCA requires that the promoter and/or Head Judge advise all cooks of the exact quantities and cuts of meat that will be placed in the judging trays. This will normally be accomplished at the cook’s meeting. The Head Judge or designated representative will inspect all trays at the time of turn-in in order to assure compliance with the turn-in criteria. All garnishes and condiments are prohibited, as they do not reflect the true quality of the cooked meat.
Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids may not be added once put into tray. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.

Recommended amounts are as follows:

Brisket: seven (7) full slices approximately 1/4” to 3/8” thick

Pork Spare Ribs: seven (7) individual cut ribs (bone-in)

Chicken: 1/2 fully jointed chicken (to include a breast, wing with tip, thigh,
and drumstick, with skin on. (NO Cornish Game Hens)

Pork: Pulled, sliced, or chopped ( All trays will be turned in the same,
either pulled, sliced, or chopped as directed by Promoter and/or Head Judge.
If an event has 50+ teams, it is recommended that two (2) 1/2 chickens be submitted for judging and that the brisket and pork spare rib quantities be adjusted accordingly

IBCA is seven slices, no less, no more. No burnt ends. Do not put anything in the box besides the slices and foil or you will be DQ'ed. We cook whole packers and foil FC up. We trim the fat down before it goes on the pit. No added juices on the brisket, but we do put a little apple juice in the foil when we wrap our butts.

Good Luck! I am still in the phase of trying to get ready to eventually throw my hat in the ring. I am not probably going to enter one until next year. Let me know anything you learn as a first time bbq competitor. Knock 'em dead
:boxing:

Start with whole packers, heavy fat trim on surface to expose more meat to seasonings. Wrap with 1 cup of beef stock and some additional rub. Savory and tender will get it done.

Back