Quesion - Santa Maria Style Grill

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So, I picked up the steel today to start the grill/rotisserie.
I'm starting with this custom fire ring 48" diameter x 16" high (and yes, it will be sitting at ground level, not on the saw horses).
image_zps0c4600d0.jpg

My basic design will be 24" x 42" grill grate similar to the Engelbrecht Braten Campfire Grill.
http://www.grillsandcookers.com/1000-original-grill.php.

I'll be adding a rotisserie that will sit about 8 inches (16 inch max food diameter) above the cooking grate and it will adjust with the grate.

My question: how tall should I make it; or stated another way, assuming a fire at ground level inside the ring, how much adjustment above the fire should I shoot for? I'm tentatively planning on the 16 inch fire ring depth depth plus 36 inches plus (52 inches) plus room at the top for the adjusting rod, etc (say 8 inches).

PS: to clarify, the SM grill & rotisserie will be a free standing unit, not attached to the fire ring.

Last edited:
This is probably not the answer you're looking for but I personally would like the bed of coals to be about 2.5' off the ground to begin with.

Cabon, thanks. Raising the whole unit is not out of the question if we decide to have a permanent location but that's not the plan right now. I'm more interested in the preferred distance needed to adjust the cooking grate above the coal bed.

I'm Guessing that Landarc might chime in here, If I remember right, he has a very nice Santa Maria Grill set up, But I have no idea as far as dimensions go.

KC

Thanks code3rrt. I did use the search tool function and read/looked at some really great builds documented on the site. That's where I got my tentative dimensions roughly ground level to +52 inches should give me 36" to +40" above the fire/coals.

Back