• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I saw a Komodo Kamado in person today.

You are right this is Q-Talk and things need to remain on topic. It appears you did not understand what I was saying, so let me clarify.

I do not believe that this [FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]refractory material[/FONT] cooker will cook any better than the Big Green Egg. The higher cost is not going to be offset by the small amount of better heat retention, you are paying more because of the Art and Design, they look pretty.

If you cannot cook it will make no difference what cooker you buy or how much you paid for it.

Since you have been here for an entire 3 months, I can understand your basis for calling my comment something less than rubbish, I appreciate your thoughts and insult.

FWIW, talking about basis or lack thereof, where in your OP did you explain anything about the cooker that would justify the raving review? Or were you just plugging the KK?

Ms, I'm actually in the market for a kamado and narrow it down between a BGE, kamado joe and primo. Can you link me to threads about your experiences using your big green egg? I'd appreciate any experienced advice on it to help my decision. Thank you.

I'll stick with my Vision Kamado Pro series for now. $699.00 at costco. verses
23" OTB Gen 2.6 pricing
Standard Tiles $4,260
Pebble Tiles 4,420
Bronze Metallic 4,480
And now I've got money left for beer! And lots of meat to smoke!
Just Sayin....................

:shocked::shocked: Refractory body does that mean Refractory Cement? Hell ya you've got money leftover to get a lot of meat you could buy a deep freezer and BBq nicely for a season if not 2. I always wanted to make one of these VVV but I got a Akorn.

Rutland Refractory Cement + Miracle Gro Perlite To make this out of castings, the perlite makes it lite weight like styrofoam they say

IMG_5113.jpg

There is no economically rational reason to purchase a KK. It performs well, but it also has limitations (limited grill space, access, and "degree of indirect heat" in comparison to some of the insulated vault or offset cookers). The heat retention and fuel economy (read potential cook duration per load) are incredible.

What is remarkable about the KK (and perhaps other like ceramic ovens) is that you can smoke your Tri Tip at 235F, and in in a few moments, execute a reverse sear at 500F; then finish a pizza in 6 minutes at 900F. When you shut it down, it will hold temperature with very little loss for hours.

If I were in the market to make such an irrational purchase, I would get the 32"; otherwise you will have to do "rack workarounds" when doing big rib and simultaneous pot-of-beans cooks.

Enjoy!

BTW, the materials used on the KK are derived from the space shuttle program and related industries--and do not come cheap!

If you have the money to spend and it makes you happy then do it.
I looked at the sight and it looks to me that it is the same guys.
It's is up you. Personally I'm glad I passed.
Oh if you are looking to toss money away I could seriously use some
Not being a Ass, You asked for thoughts

Congrats on the new grill I just got a primo which I know is not everyone's cup of tea either but I say hey to each their own cant wait to see some pics of it and some of your cooks

Good Grillin !!

I've only seen one in person, and it was not in very good shape. But OMG, the web link -- they look like jewelry.

OK - I have a metalic bronze Komodo Kamado, it is awesome. I often smoke steak low, remove and open the vents wide, within a very short time it is like raging hot and then I reverse sear
a9e6upa2.jpg

yes its beautiful and very expensive. I plan on only one BBQ for the rest of my time...

Steak was great too!
ery2ary2.jpg

open invite for anyone to come see!

I will also point out that Dennis Linkletter is a great supplier who even called me to check delivery was fine and help with the first cook! The Kamodo company who also had a VERY much inferior product is not associated with Komodo Kamado or Dennis.

BTW, the materials used on the KK are derived from the space shuttle program and related industries--and do not come cheap!

same with the bge.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Green_Egg"]The Big Green Egg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Technology

The shape of the Egg reflects ancient technology in that it is designed to contain the heat with only a small [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flue"]vent[/ame] at the top to create a draft to keep the fire going. Today’s Egg is manufactured from high fiber [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic"]ceramics[/ame] developed for the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_shuttle_program"]space shuttle program[/ame] specifically designed to reflect heat and this allows temperatures of up to 650 degrees [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius"]Celsius[/ame] (1200 Fahrenheit) to be reached. The external surface has a high gloss ceramic glaze applied to provide crack and weather resistance.

What is remarkable about the KK (and perhaps other like ceramic ovens) is that you can smoke your Tri Tip at 235F, and in in a few moments, execute a reverse sear at 500F; then finish a pizza in 6 minutes at 900F. When you shut it down, it will hold temperature with very little loss for hours.

That would be one crispy pizza.

If I had something like that sitting on my deck my buddies would laugh me out of the state. No self-respecting man would have one of those on his deck.

I've only had a BGE for a couple of months but I can tell you already it is the ticket. I've cooked wings at 375 and minutes later been searing steaks at 750. $850 brand new with the plate setter and a free bag of lump. Can't wait to try some pizza.

Back