View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Hi Jed,
Thanks for sharing your expertise. I'm having a go at making my first pizza tonight so I'm studying the info I can find at my favorite forums. It was good to see your post at the top of the heap here.

I've already made the dough using a recipe I found for a whole wheat dough (2C whole wheat flour and 1 1/2C all purpose flour.) Probably won't be as good as your crust but hopefully better for us.

I'm going to bake it on a Weber kettle. I know I can't do 750°F but I think I can coax my 26 to about 500°F with two chimney's of lump. I understand that one of the issues when using a kettle is to get enough heat to the top of the pizza w/out charring the bottom of the crust. I bought some fire brick (1 1/4" thick) to build a platform on the middle of the cooker and will put the pizzas on 9" cast iron tortilla griddles to bake them. (I know that's pretty non-traditional, but lacking a proper peel it looks like my best fall back.)

Sorry to hear about the business. Chicago only just modified their laws to permit food carts/trucks. I'm sure there was a lot of pressure from brick and mortar restaurants to prevent that. Hopefully that will work out for the eating population in town.

Thanks from:--->