Anyone intersted in testing pilot testing a new scoring system for a new comp?

F

Flavor Gangster

We have come up with a new point system and scoring worksheet for a pilot competition.

We are thinking about holding this test comp in January in Oswego at Fox Valley Kickers. Yes, it will be cold, but there is huge banquet room for setting all your prep areas up inside. All cookers are outside of course.

Really nice Bar, Pool Tables and more.

Really awesome location for a real winter cook off.

Since it is a test we are thinking 1 category and $100 entry. First, second and third will be paid. Just for the test.

Most likley it will be ribs for the test comp.

More details to come, I just can't spill all the beans now.

Local Chicago and Milwaukee teams, this will be fun.

Let me know, we want to do middle of January. If you are interested just reply to this thread.

-Judges will be a mix of your experienced bbq cooks, chefs, sensory certified tasters, and general public. The judge questionaire guides them through the scoring procees with a series of questions. Four major categories designed to equal for a total score.

-Bracket System-you will be broken into groups by random drawing. Preliminary- Quarters, Semi Finals and Finals.
-Comparative-you are cooking against others which means your food is judged against others!
-In depth analysis of cooks methods, quality of workmanship.
-Professionally structured sensory questions are based on general acceptance or preference scoring.
-Flavor impact, profile, texture and mouthfeel are still based on judges preference.

-5-10 Minute private interviews with each judge during evaluation.

-From Scratch Rule: No Retail finished ingredients allowed. That means all sauces, seasonings and marinades must be from scratch and made up from individual ingredients. Show your talent and skill by making it and not buying it.

-Teams will also present accurate recipes that will be kept locked in files. All Teams will get heir formulas back after awards.

-The final teams formulas will be analyzed and compared to actual product being presented. If the judge feels something is in aacurate, they will investigate further.

We have come up with a new point system and scoring worksheet for a pilot competition.

We are thinking about holding this test comp in January in Oswego at Fox Valley Kickers. Yes, it will be cold, but there is huge banquet room for setting all your prep areas up inside. All cookers are outside of course.

Really nice Bar, Pool Tables and more.

Really awesome location for a real winter cook off.

Since it is a test we are thinking 1 category and $100 entry. First, second and third will be paid. Just for the test.

Most likley it will be ribs for the test comp.

More details to come, I just can't spill all the beans now.

Local Chicago and Milwaukee teams, this will be fun.

Let me know, we want to do middle of January. If you are interested just reply to this thread.

Reply. :thumb:

Sauces and rubs have to be made on-site?
What is your time frame for judging? Sounds as if it could take a while?

We have not decided that factor yet. I am not 100% but, chili contests you have to build on site. We are working on that.

Yes it may take some extra time, but blending a sauce or seasoning doesn't take that long. Probably for the Pilot you can bring your finished rub, sauce etc. They will be presented along side your food. There is an honesty factor. Some of the judges will know if your seasoning does not reflect your recipe. It is easy to pick out.

That is why we are testing. We want to crawl before running.

Also,
The evening before there will be a seminar along with demonstrations to help new cooks. At that time we also review the entire judging process with all teams.

-The idea is to be transparent-
-Timing will be critical. Most likley we will have brackets broken down into showdown times. Bracket A may be 11 AM and B at 12. Scoring is almost instant so you will know if you move onto the next round pretty quickly.

We will make it as smooth as possible, but also apply some pressure.

It will be a full day of presenting a judging. A little endurance will be needed.

If a dispute with judge scores may arise, a seperate group of judges will come to evaluate for a second tasting. So if you challenge a judge, you better have the same thing (Food) ready for the other officials if you throw the red flag!

This may seem complicated, but we do have a vision and want to gain data by hosting the pilot event.
This has nothing to do with any other sanctioning organization. We are planning a major event with a big money sponsors and we wanted to test this scoring system before choosing a version of a existing organization.

Thank you all in advance for being interested!

-Teams will also present accurate recipes that will be kept locked in files. All Teams will get heir formulas back after awards.

-The final teams formulas will be analyzed and compared to actual product being presented. If the judge feels something is in aacurate, they will investigate further.

Yes it may take some extra time, but blending a sauce or seasoning doesn't take that long. Probably for the Pilot you can bring your finished rub, sauce etc. They will be presented along side your food. There is an honesty factor. Some of the judges will know if your seasoning does not reflect your recipe. It is easy to pick out.

Have you ever seen the Hell's Kitchen episode where chef Ramsey blindfolds and puts ear muffs on the chefs to see if they can pick out different ingredients? You see executive chefs calling filet mignon pork because they can't see what they are putting in their mouth...:shock:

I am not saying that most chefs or professional food folks don't know a lot more than then general public but good food will always win regardless if it is cooked by the hillbilly cooking on a drum or the chef with the restaurant with multiple michelin stars.

Richard,

Great points. The idea is not focus on the seasoning as a guessing game.
The whole idea is that eveyrone is on a level playing field. From scratch. Thats all. Maybe I sholuld have left out that part out about challenges. Like I said, we are still flushing some things out.

The general idea is that the competitor made it from scratch. Nothing against those great seasonings out there. Just another comp, thats all.

Hope you guys would join us for the pilot?

Looking at Calendar this week.

Richard,

Great points. The idea is not focus on the seasoning as a guessing game.
The whole idea is that eveyrone is on a level playing field. From scratch. Thats all. Maybe I sholuld have left out that part out about challenges. Like I said, we are still flushing some things out.

The general idea is that the competitor made it from scratch. Nothing against those great seasonings out there. Just another comp, thats all.

Hope you guys would join us for the pilot?

Looking at Calendar this week.

Unfortunately, with the twins so small my chances to get out to compete are limited right now. I need to save some brownie pts with the wife, so i am able to attend some KCBS events this year. I look forward to hearing how this goes.

Word, Hope the family has a great Holdiay. I am not sure how many we are doing next year. Probably less than 2011, but further south. We are gonna try and hit some MBN events. For sure Iron Mountain Boss Hog, Poor Que, Westmont and maybe one Michigan. Oh and the new Fair Oaks IN.

id be interested in judging for ya Matt
-Judges will be a mix of your experienced bbq cooks, chefs, sensory certified tasters, and general public. The judge questionaire guides them through the scoring procees with a series of questions. Four major categories designed to equal for a total score.

-Bracket System-you will be broken into groups by random drawing. Preliminary- Quarters, Semi Finals and Finals.
-Comparative-you are cooking against others which means your food is judged against others!
-In depth analysis of cooks methods, quality of workmanship.
-Professionally structured sensory questions are based on general acceptance or preference scoring.
-Flavor impact, profile, texture and mouthfeel are still based on judges preference.

-5-10 Minute private interviews with each judge during evaluation.

-From Scratch Rule: No Retail finished ingredients allowed. That means all sauces, seasonings and marinades must be from scratch and made up from individual ingredients. Show your talent and skill by making it and not buying it.

I do. I have 2. need finalize some other stuff. plan to announce this weekend
Bracket system is completed.
We will do a lottery with team names. When your name is called you go and pick a group (1,2,3 or 4). Once we we have upto 5 teams per group those are the teams you get judged against in round 1. After round 1 we will pick 10 teams for semi finals. two brackets of 5. Then round 3. finals. First and second will be judged once more.

I know we planned on just 10. it would be great to get 15 or 20.

We are very excited to kick this off. I hope you all come and try it. Truthfully!

The dates are looking like Feb 11 or 25th. As of now. We are looking for only 12 teams/ cooks to participate in this special event.

If your cooking the Winter Burn or have a knitting class we may be before or after, so it will be kind of a double header for some.

The date will be set next week. We are meeting with group to finalize. Here is the link to location.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/140176192677811/

Each team will be assigned a 10ft x10FT indoor cooking site. Your pits will be lined up right outside the wall behind you in the lot. Yes, there will be electricity.

A perfect location for a Chicago Winter Cook.

-We will be judging one meat category: "Beef Tri-Tip"

-As I mentioned before, this is a from scratch contest. Build your sauce, seasonings marinades on site.

$100 Entry, Paying 1st,2nd,3rd.
First Place $1000, Second Place $350 and Third Place $250.

This is a test event, your participation and input during the event will be rewarded kindly with some really cool gift baskets.

I am interested still but what is a Beef Tri-Tip? I am also still waiting on the Des Plaines Competition. i joined the KRE group on facebook but nothing has posted yet.

I have a meeting next week. Most likley it be will the weekend after KRE Cook Off. I may go to that with friend. We usually cook it together. The 25th would be a strong tentative date to mark down.
Tri Tip comes from the Sirloin. You can get it at Costco or Butcher Shops. Look up Santa Maria Tri Tip and you will find a good starting point on what we are looking for.

Rules and other details will be posted soon on a seperate site.

Thanks .

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested still but what is a Beef Tri-Tip? I am also still waiting on the Des Plaines Competition. i joined the KRE group on facebook but nothing has posted yet.
Richard - you can get it at Restaurant Depot. Let me know know if you need help obtaining some..i can help

I am also still waiting on the Des Plaines Competition. i joined the KRE group on facebook but nothing has posted yet.
its the very top post on their facebook page..

"Mark your calenders, Winter Burn 2012...February 19th!!!"

interesting idea---but to have a really level field shouldn't the meat be single sourced to have the same spice platform for all contestants?? While I realize every pc of beef is different there kind by large variations between different packers, grades etc--just wondering???

its the very top post on their facebook page..

"Mark your calenders, Winter Burn 2012...February 19th!!!"

This was just posted on Facebook regarding the Winter Burnoff...

** Important announcement!!** Date Change!!! **
Due to a conflict with the bowling alley, we have to reschedule the Winter Burn. The set date is Feb 12, 2012. Details coming next week.
Sorry about the inconvience

Typo included :-D

Back