Kcbs cooking classes.

IowaWildHogsBbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Alright everyone need some input from all you great people. I just started competing this year did real well 1 gc 2 rgc went up against some very tuff teams the last comp and had two calls. My question is I have done alot of reasearch on bbq. Thearea I really only need help on is appearence which I have been stuyding alot on bbq critic. Taste profile well that is a millon dollar question what wins one week might not win next week. My tenderness is great. My question is would it be worth the 4 to 5 hundred dollars to take a class? I am going to be a cbj before next year and judge some comps before we start. Thanks guys for all the help. Oh also have the bite thru chicken skin down.

My appearance scores are generally my highest scores. I'd happily send you pics for $350. :bow: :p

If you want to broaden your views on different techniques and/or flavor profiles I would definitely recommend taking a class.
If you are not going to change your ways......no.
That being said......I took a class....helped a lot....do not use recipes, but some techniques.

I know your pretty succesful. So is that a no on class LOL.

When you say your app scores are your lowest, what scores are you generally getting?

If you increase your score 1 app point for each judge, your score will increase 2.8570 points on each entry.

So if you're getting lots of 8s, I think one could take an extra minute to tidy up the box and get some 9s. If you're getting 6s, then I'd look into help - whether a class or photos.

My app scores for the last 5 comp were 8's and 9's with a few 7's in there. I have gotten alot of 7 8 9' s for taste and tenderness except one judge gave me a 6 one time on taste. My scores are not bad I know what I need to tweak. A few team that i know say if you want to be succesful you have to take a class. With the scores I have just improve a point or more and your in the money. The one team that I know has taken a class twice and they dont even break into the top 10 and the 6 comps they did this year so it is obvious It is not helping them.

If this is your first year, and you have achieved 1 gc and 2 rgc at kcbs events. I would think by just taking a Judging class you should be able to see more boxes and achieve your goals. JMO

They were backyard comps. But I am taking a judging class like I said all I need is 1 point here 1 point here. I am going to judge a few comps this spring where there is going to be some top teams and get some mental notes and tweak mine a little.

They were backyard comps. But I am taking a judging class like I said all I need is 1 point here 1 point here. I am going to judge a few comps this spring where there is going to be some top teams and get some mental notes and tweak mine a little.

If you scored a GC and 2 RGC in backyard Comps your well on your way. But what you really need to do is Compete in a KCBS event. There is NO comparison between Backyards and KCBS. KCBS is MUCH MUCH tougher, IMO. After you do a KCBS event then ask youself if you need to take a class. JMO

Definitely take the CBJ and judge a few comps. Also, keep studying the photos on BBQ Critic and see what other judges say about the entries as far as appearance goes. I'm one of those "other judges" on BBQ Critic and it is fun and educational to see what gets what from whom. Like Ralph said: "you really need to do is Compete in a KCBS event." That will help you learn where you stand with the "real" big boys! IMHO.

Those are pretty dang good results. We have done great in all our backyard competitions this year (rookie year) and knew when we did pro KCBS to not expect the same and that was 100% true. In our first we took dead a$$ last, then 32 out of 41, then most recently 18 out of 31. We are constantly practicing and it seems to be paying off. I'd say do a KCBS and see what your scores are as all 3 categories may not be as high. Ours certainly weren't. I also want to take a cooking class and may before next year.

we have done one kcbs this year we got 11 in chicken 3 rd in ribs 18 th in pork and 7 th in brisket we placed 15 th out of 18 teams we pretty much had all 7 8 9's we did score 3 9's in chicken and 3 9's in ribs we had 3 6's which was our brisket which scored all 8's and 9's except one judge gave us 6's dont know why but that happens oh we 3 9's in brisket also

Alright everyone need some input from all you great people. I just started competing this year did real well 1 gc 2 rgc went up against some very tuff teams the last comp and had two calls. My question is I have done alot of reasearch on bbq. Thearea I really only need help on is appearence which I have been stuyding alot on bbq critic. Taste profile well that is a millon dollar question what wins one week might not win next week. My tenderness is great. My question is would it be worth the 4 to 5 hundred dollars to take a class? I am going to be a cbj before next year and judge some comps before we start. Thanks guys for all the help. Oh also have the bite thru chicken skin down.
with finishes like that in your first year. might want to give a class.

I still say you and I should get together sometime this winter and do some practice runs. I think it would be great to have an unbiased opinion for both of us.

BTW I talked to Kelli, and if Storm lake does have that cooking class i am in. Presentation is supposed to be portion of the class, she emailed me the info on it.

Back