Trade trailer for EZ-UP

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So lots of posts are about people wanting to buy trailers, but has anyone gone the other way and dumped the trailer for the minimalist approach? I've been considering trading my superior and trailer for a trailer mounted smoker, which would require me to do all of my work outside again. Just curious if anyone has made that switch and whether they regret it.

Brother I am doing the trailer mounted cooker with EZ ups and if that damned salmon boat ever sells it will be an enclosed trailer ...........

...well, I was in the same boat as Coz. I had a little 5x8 enclosed, served me well, but another cook bought a trailer pit and that put a 6x10 w/ramp on the market and gave me first shot. I jumped and got a sweet deal on it, but then I had 4 trailers in my yard and my OL pitchin' a bitch any time I sat down. Throw some nets down and you'd think I was on the res! Got to the point trying to sell the 5x8, I'd trade a cooker for it, but then I'd never hear the end of that! It finally sold!

I'm switching from an enclosed trailer to 2 trailer mounted Superior SS-2s and canopies. Partly because of increased travel distances after my move to SC and mostly because I'm tired of loading and unloading the smokers.

My plan is a enclosed with the swing open doors and I will make a small aluminum deck that is hinged and will swing down to roll the cookers out on. When I go on friday by my self setting up sucks and when your tired on saturday it sucks to put it away. I would like to do more contests but the wife cant get away much more so by doing this it would be a lot easier for me to do contests solo.

I'll be cooking under a Ez-Up this year... or at least not with the RV at every contest.

Perfect world I'd have a porch trailer enclosed and a small utility setup for contest in spring / fall where the weather was going to cooperate. As much as the minimalist approach sounds great, the last thing I'd want is to be fighting EZ Ups in a Midwest Thunderstorm or a 95+ degree day with 90% humidity and no AC

Having gone from the EZ Up to a trailer, I couldn't imagine going back. We are flying out to cook Vegas tho so we will get a reminder of the EZ Up way of life!

I currently cook under an EZ-Up and I'm strongly considering not competing any more until the trailer is finished. IT SUCKS. My back is screaming by the time I get done loading all the stuff in and out of the back of the truck.

During the January/February months it's a constant fight with the winds and cold. During the summer months it's the heat and rain. Again I say, It Sucks.

Russ

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
I'm switching from an enclosed trailer to 2 trailer mounted Superior SS-2s and canopies. Partly because of increased travel distances after my move to SC and mostly because I'm tired of loading and unloading the smokers.

I'm going from one trailer mounted Superior Smokers SS-Something (it was a proto-type of one that didn't go to production) to two trailer mounted Superior Smokers SS-2s this year. In fact, they went to the painter yesterday and getting primed today.

I might buy a better canopy this year, but an enclosed trailer is not in the plans for anytime soon.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have AC in my trailer now, so if anything, it is hotter in there than being outside. My biggest concern giving up the trailer is the damn thunderstorms that seem to pop up everywhere I cook. I'm going to go through the trailer this week or next and try to determine how much stuff I'm lugging around but not really using, and how practical it would be to work out of my truck.

I would love trailer with AC but the money is not there. I have a stick burner and like it but want to change to a BWS or something like it. I am tired of packing and unpacking. I would like to do more contest than I do but I just cant stay up and monitor the stick burner. That kills me for several days after the contest

With the AC typically comes the need for a generator and so on and so forth. -- it's a vicious cycle either way you go -- You will pay the luxury tax for using the trailer, truck, etc. But you will always enjoy the amenity -- If you are just doing the 4 KCBS categories at an event it seems like overkill to have the trailer -- but that's who we are in the end! And yes -- trading the trailer for the tent concept is making more sense all the time, I'm just not all that sensible.

Clark

I would love trailer with AC but the money is not there. I have a stick burner and like it but want to change to a BWS or something like it. I am tired of packing and unpacking. I would like to do more contest than I do but I just cant stay up and monitor the stick burner. That kills me for several days after the contest

Just keep checking craigslist, you'll never know what you'll find. The 7 x 16 trailer we picked up last year had cabinets electircal & an old RV AC a previous owner had put in and we ended up with it for around $3,600. If you're only running the A/C, you usually can still hook it up on a 20 AMP power draw, which is close to the standard power around KC.

Having gone through thunderstorms, 100 degree days, 20 degree days etc., I'm happy to have the trailer. Just wish it was a porch trailer vs. loading / unloading smokers.

This will be year 5 under the tent.... and yes, I had an enclosed trailer until I totaled it right after Christmas. No insurance like I was told that it was covered but wasn't..... so, down sizing for a while.

I would imagine if gas stays up we will see a lot more ez-ups at the contests and less rvs and huge trailers.

Really hot or pouring rain and I am jealous of a trailer. Overall though I love being able to set up in 30 minutes, couple tables, EZUP and my jambo. Defintely love being able to bomb home at 80mph :heh:

When I can I'll get a cheap local hotel room for a couple hours of sleep and a hot shower.

We've competed under one to three canopies for as long as we've been doing this. If we were in an area like some of you, where we could choose between several contests within a four-hour or less drive on any given weekend, you know we'd be in a trailer because we're old and love our comforts.

But with as much travel as we have to do, even the little pull-along 5x8 was killing us. Speed limits, gas consumption -- it was a pain. When we inherited a minivan, we stripped down the pack and got it all in there -- 4 WSMs, two canopies, tables, boxes, blah blah blah.

The first time VQ computed the mileage on a trip leg and it was nearly 27mpg, I thought he might weep a tear of joy. I know I was happy to cut at least two hours off our longer trips.

So pick your tradeoff -- comfort and expense vs. speed, mobility, strike range.

Back