Dual Remote Thermometer - Some questions ...

SacramentoHusker

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I've been looking for a while to find a dual thermometer that can read the temperature of the meat and the temperature of the chamber, and I haven't been able to find much. I've found ones that are rated for meat, and ones that are rated for the chamber, but just this one that is rated for both.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this device. The reviews on Amazon seem to be mostly 4 and 5 star.

I'm looking to use this with the Kamado I recently picked up. You can read about that here.

Your thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Industries-RediChek-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I should note that some people have had trouble with their dual-probe Mavericks. One of the problems is they can have very short range (on the order of 10 feet) unless you perform an antenna mod. Others have had problems with the probe wires going bad and having to be replaced at significant cost. This is not universal, of course.

I should note that some people have had trouble with their dual-probe Mavericks. One of the problems is they can have very short range (on the order of 10 feet) unless you perform an antenna mod. Others have had problems with the probe wires going bad and having to be replaced at significant cost. This is not universal, of course.

I'm not too concerned about the range, though I am concerned about the wires/probes. It doesn't seem as if too many folks have that issue.

Thanks for the comment.

How do West Coast Husker from a Right Coast Husker!!!

Get the Maverick like mentioned, but if you have any issues with range, which everyone I have had is the case, do a simple 10 minute mod to greatly extend the range. Basically, you take the back case off and attach a wire to the board with solder - the antennae is part of the board - I did this and I can keep connected from the third floor of my house all the way in the front (smoker is in the back)...that is through a lot of walls, doors, etc. It is night and day difference how much better it works with this simple mod...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Increasing-the-Range-of-a-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer/

I used my ET-73 for about a year and have already replaced both probes. The wires on the ET-73 are very thin and got crimped with the lid of my offset. I think if I had drilled a hole to run the wires through they would have lasted longer.

I replaced the Maverick probes with Oregon Scientific probes which are much thicker and now I'm confident the unit will run fine for years to come.

How do West Coast Husker from a Right Coast Husker!!!

Get the Maverick like mentioned, but if you have any issues with range, which everyone I have had is the case, do a simple 10 minute mod to greatly extend the range. Basically, you take the back case off and attach a wire to the board with solder - the antennae is part of the board - I did this and I can keep connected from the third floor of my house all the way in the front (smoker is in the back)...that is through a lot of walls, doors, etc. It is night and day difference how much better it works with this simple mod...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Increasing-the-Range-of-a-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer/

I've seen that mod - I think I'll be doing it if I can't things to work right.

GBR!

I used my ET-73 for about a year and have already replaced both probes. The wires on the ET-73 are very thin and got crimped with the lid of my offset. I think if I had drilled a hole to run the wires through they would have lasted longer.

I replaced the Maverick probes with Oregon Scientific probes which are much thicker and now I'm confident the unit will run fine for years to come.

I'm concerned about this with the Kamado. I'm putting in the felt gaskets, though, so I'm thinking about putting a small break in the felt for the wires to pass through.

Save your money! It's crap! Although for some it works fine, chances are you'll get 90 days worth of use and it'll die...

I've never really found the need for a remote thermometer. I use a couple of these...

http://thebbqgrail.com/2008/10/11/product-review-ikea-thermometer/

Using the WSM or UDS (and as I understand it, ceramics) once you set the temp it's stable for hours. I just pop out once in awhile and check the temp.

I gave up on remote ones because, for the most part, they don't work long enough to justify the cost.

I use mine (along with a Cyberq) on my Primo oval xl..no issues with it going between the felt gasket (or nomex gasket)..I've had the same one for about 4 years now I think..still works fine...GBR!!!!!!!!

I've never really found the need for a remote thermometer. I use a couple of these...

http://thebbqgrail.com/2008/10/11/product-review-ikea-thermometer/

Using the WSM or UDS (and as I understand it, ceramics) once you set the temp it's stable for hours. I just pop out once in awhile and check the temp.

I gave up on remote ones because, for the most part, they don't work long enough to justify the cost.

Well, it's $40, so I'm not too worried about the cost. The thermometer to which you linked, though, won't work for my application. I need something that can give me grill temp, and I'm worried that something that's only rated to ~400F will die the first time I put it in the Kamado. I'm not worried about remotely monitoring the meat, really. I'm much more worried about the grill temperature.

Well, it's $40, so I'm not too worried about the cost. The thermometer to which you linked, though, won't work for my application. I need something that can give me grill temp, and I'm worried that something that's only rated to ~400F will die the first time I put it in the Kamado. I'm not worried about remotely monitoring the meat, really. I'm much more worried about the grill temperature.

You smoking at over 400 degrees?

Just a recommendation from someone that's been using them for years...but then again I prefer to smoke my meat in the under 250 degree range.

You smoking at over 400 degrees?

Just a recommendation from someone that's been using them for years...but then again I prefer to smoke my meat in the under 250 degree range.

Not planned, but I'm especially concerned about flareups since the fire source is directly below the grill. The nice thing about the product I linked was its alarm system. Also, the IKEA one (of which I will be getting a few, just in case) only measures to 266F. If I want to do something at 300F (say, a turkey), it won't be able to handle it.

I do like the alternative you've presented, but I don't think it covers everything needed, that's all. I will be picking a few up, though.

FYI - the Mavericks only read to ~400F. After that the display reads somehting like Hi or HHH. There is a little silicone-like gasket/seal between the probe and the metal mesh wire covering. I think that would melt at higher temps - one of mine has but has so far not affected the functioning of the thermo.

Back