Requesting Cooking Competition Brisket advice

bradbuesing

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Mentoring advice requested. We have been practicing for a couple of years and want to step up to the next level and enter some competitions. As for brisket, our steps are as follows: 1. Dry Rub application over night 2. smoke with pecan for 7 hours 3. Apply basting sauce and wrap and continue for 5 more hours internal temp 190 4. choke fire and allow meat to rest in smoker for 4 hours. 5. cool, cut, serve.

Thoughts and steps that we are leaving out, or need to pay special attention to? All thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

Attachments

• tail.jpg
    tail.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 231
For KCBS and I'm sure other organizations, you will not be able to flavor your meat before inspection - so that will change your first step.

Step 1: As mentioned above, you're going to have trouble getting that full timeline in for KCBS (or, for that matter, IBCA). Does your rub have sugar or salt in it? Those will draw moisture out of the meat -- is that something you want to do?

Step 2: The meat is only going accept smoke for a certain amount of time -- some say until 135 degrees or so, although that's a matter of some discussion. What internal temp are you shooting for before you wrap?

Step 3: Is 190 a number you've determined works best with your extended rest in the smoker? Have you tried other temps?

Step 4: Is there a particular reason you rest the meat in the cooker (with its variable temp) rather than a cooler or holding box?

Step 5: Are you boxing for KCBS or IBCA?

Yeah, 16 hrs of total time on a briskie is gonna cut it close. Ever thought of using a pre-warmed cooler for resting?

Are you only using this pit for the brisket only and plan to cook any other category meats on other cookers ?

Just with the quick feedback already it is obvious I need to start with the basic rules and timelines. Suggest best link to secure a good guideline. Basting sauce is out-of-bounds for competetion? That will be good to know. What about mops, etc.?

As for times I have played some with different temps but willing to listen to thoughts.

Yes, we have used a cooler for resting. But the mess makes me crazy.

As for other meats going at the same time, have not practiced the full list all at the same time. Suggestions?

Do you plan to cook KCBS, IBCA or another sanctioning bodies events ?

As far as the cooler - put an aluminum pan under it and it will contain the mess if lots of foil doesn't work for you.

Cooking individual meats are fine to get flavor profiles down but you should practice all the meats together at least once like a contest timeline to plot out your workflow and timing

Try the Butcher BBQ injection product. It will give you more moisture in the end and give you a broader window of "doneness" without being overdone.

You asked for help on your cooking steps. Its a very broad question because you never said that there is anything wrong with those steps, you only mentioned that you don't want to be missing any step. So is your meat good meat to start with, is it trimmed good, is it spice or injected to the flavors liked in your area, is gettting finished correctly, is the box built to be tasty looking? We all can throw out ideas but with out knowing where YOU think you need help its real hard.

Also after applying your rub look at the bottle and make sure your bottle reads Plowboy Bovine Bold and your injection reads Butcher BBQ.

Yes, we have used a cooler for resting. But the mess makes me crazy.
Put a foil pan in the bottom of the cooler first. I use a cambro with a steel pan lined with a foil pan.

And is your timing for a flat or packer? That's about my timing for flats so maybe it's undercooked. Temp is not the be all and end all. Take a therma pen and slide it into the flat. If it feels like a stick of soft butter then it's done. One brisket will be done in the 190's and then next needs 205.

Redheart linked to the rules for KCBS and IBCA. Read them and understand them. As far as timeline, that is variable depending on your cooker and cooking methods. Basically, for KCBS you can't do anything to your meat except trim it before you go through meat inspection. Once meat inspection is done then you can begin your process. I have had my meat inspected :shock: as early as noon and as late as 5:00pm on Friday. it depends on when you get to the site and when the inspector has time for you. Then, you have to have the brisket ready for turn in by 1:30pm on Saturday (for most competitions). What you do in between in up to you!

You also should practice the full competition turn ins to make sure that you juggle cook times, prep times, etc. so you don't have conflicts. We all recommend doing a full competition (setup and all) in your driveway or back yard so you know what you will need and what to leave home. Whenever you find something that you have to run into the house for, write it down!

Most important, have fun!

Basically, for KCBS you can do anything to your weat except trim it before you go through meat inspection.

Whoops, caught a boo-boo here. In KCBS, you CAN trim your meat before inspection. You CANNOT inject, rub, seaon, or marinate.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Whoops, caught a boo-boo here. In KCBS, you CAN trim your meat before inspection. You CANNOT inject, rub, seaon, or marinate.

--frank in Wilson, NY

I have no idea what you are talking about Frank. I this you should re-read that :-D :-D

Just a little typo. Can should have been can't :oops:

Back